This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Timing J4 rotor

Batteries, magnetos, distributors, wiring harnesses and more.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Timing J4 rotor

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

I had an inquiry this week about how to time the rotor on a J4 magneto and since there is a spare magneto in one of my parts drawers, I took a couple pictures and emailed to the member making the inquiry. I thought maybe they would be beneficial to someone else also. To make it easier to see, I used some white paint on the mark on the rotor.

First picture is how the rotor and pinion gear should be timed. This is also how it should look just after the magneto trips at TDC on #1 cylinder. It is easier to get the gears right, if the magneto is off the tractor, then you can turn it backwards to get the marks lined up rather than fighting the impulse.

this second picture is as the gears look as the engine approaches TDC of #1 cylinder just before the impulse trips.

this is the position of the governor to magneto drive slot with the engine at TDC of any cylinder.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Ignition/Electrical”