This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Bearing removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

PTO Bearing removal

Postby AGrinthal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 pm

I am trying to rebuild my '52 cub PTO. After a brief use of my Belly mower I could no longer engage the PTO. I found if the belly mower belt wasn't too tight I could get it to work.. but then the belts would jump off and get wrecked. Anyway after some research I decided to rebuild the PTO which was one of the FEW things I didn't rebuild when I had done my restoration.

Here's what I found. No real play in the existing bearing... WHen I took it out the Pilot bushing was just a few spirals on the PTO Shaft and some brass dust in the Spline. My Spline was NEW with a new pilot busing and I had installed the spline bearing in the CORRECT direction. So I am curious as to WHY I am seeing that failure.

But my Next problem is getting the old bearing off the PTO shaft. Mine is the Staked version which I assume you have to apply pressure AWAY from stakes towards the PTO external splines. The only Guide I could find on this site was someone putting a new bearing ON (not off) and it was the retainer version and it appeared they were slipping the PTO shaft through the bearing Pilot side first. If I'm not wrong you can't do that with the Staked version.

(http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32935 If you look at these shots this is a retainer version… and while they don’t show the removal they DO show the bearing being installed again by slipping the shaft into the bearing Pilot side first. …. You can’t do that if you have the staked version correct?)

so my issue of the moment.. is How does one remove this bearing? I assume you have to press the PTO shaft DOWN through the existing bearing by applying pressure from the External splines...and it will stop at the staked nubs. That appears to be the OPPOSITE of what you would do if you had the ringed version. I tried pulling this off using the puller I used on the Crank Pulley and it didn't budge. Am I missing something here?

IF there's a link that shows how its done that would be great.!

Thanks
Andy
Andover, NJ

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO Bearing removal

Postby tst » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:27 pm

they replaced that type with a bearing and snap ring style, IH claims it cannot be serviced, , I have seen them welded on, also a collar with a set screw to hold it place, you need to grind the staking off to remove it

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 am

Hmm interesting. with all my searching on "PTO" bearings that the first I have heard that the staked versions are "Unserviceable". I guess I need to get one that uses the snap ring? I thought it was odd when I purchased the rebuild parts and I had snap ring in it.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 pm

I staked one on using a prick punch on the shaft and never had a problem.

Return to “Farmall Cub”