This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shade Tree Tool for applying gooey stuff

Splitting stand, mounting stands, etc, etc.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Shade Tree Tool for applying gooey stuff

Postby drspiff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:56 pm

I know that nobody here would use Bondo or Auto Body filler paste on their Cub. It is certainly preferable to have an old world craftsman painstakingly beat out those little dings and bring the sheet metal back to "like new" condition. But suppose that you needed to apply a thin layer of JB Weld, or needed to repair the fiberglass on your 1956 Corvette.

To smooth out that gooey stuff, you need a flat, stiff but flexible, disposable and cheap tool. You can go to the autobody paint store and buy a fancy applicator but there is another source that has what you are looking for at the right price. Wait until the mailman delivers your nice new putty/gooey stuff applicator. And you don't even have to order it! Or pay for it!

When those credit card offers come in the mail, they often contain a dummy plastic credit card. These credit cards fit all the requirements, flat, stiff but flexible, disposable, and cheap. And it makes you look forward to junk mail. Sure, you could save these cards for scraping the windshield in the wintertime. But show the spouse how thrifty you can be when it comes to working on the Cub. Who knows, it might pay off in the long run...

Under the Shade Tree,

Rick (I saved enough to buy a 2nd Cub) Dulas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby TexCub » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:05 pm

And after you've unwrapped your new tool, here's a way to say thanks:

Stuff everything, including the envelope it came in and anything else that's handy, disposable, and doesn't have your name on it inside the "no postage necessary" return envelope and mail it back to them!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I usually rip up the application part in case it's got a confirmation number or the like on it, but I send 'em back a pretty heavy envelope that's stuffed full of junk they didn't want. Just returnin' the favor!!!! :wink:

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:31 pm

Hey both you guys, that is a pretty neat idea of using the cards for bondo and then mailing the other junk back :idea: , I like it :-:-): . Pete

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:31 pm

UPDATE (12-AUG-2007): After you have spread the gooey stuff, epoxy, Bondo, etc., you can save yourself some finishing time by using a little "lubricant" on your $0 applicator. Before the gooey stuff sets up, wet the surface of the gooey stuff with alcohol. Now run the plastic over the stuff. The alcohol acts as a lubricant and allows you to slick the surface. If you have a compound surface or place where the credit card will not fit, dip your finger in the alcohol and smooth the surface. The credit card applicator and the alcohol lubricant also work very well on autobody glazing compound. I suspect you will be amazed at the result.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:55 pm

Another tool I use is the new fangled hotel room keys. Bout the same size as a credit card and I get plenty to keep me going.
8)

Return to “Specialty tools”