This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shade Tree Headlight Gaskets

Tips and tricks on repairs to your Cub’s structure.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Shade Tree Headlight Gaskets

Postby drspiff » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Shade Tree Headlight Gaskets --or-- The Case of the Disappearing Irrigation Line

When you take your headlights a part, you will probably find that the gasket between the lens and the body is hard, crumbly, and generally NG. New OEM gaskets are not to be found. And the substitutes that I've seen do not appeal. What is needed is a band of waterproof, compressible material 1/8" in thickness, 1/4" wide and about 18.8" long. If this material is readily available and cheap, that is even better.

While casting around for suitable gaskets, I was thinking about screen door gasket. You know, the ribbing that holds the screen into the frame. But it is not quite large enough. On my shelf next to the box of screen door materials is a box of flexible tubing. Stuff I've picked up over time from various sources. What grabbed my eye was some green plastic drip irrigation tubing left over from a failed attempt to keep some rose bushes alive. This tubing is about 1/4" OD, about 1/8" ID, waterproof, compressible, flexible, readily available, and cheap. Image
With all these things going for it, it had to be a GOOD IDEA.

Sure enough, a suitable length was wrapped around the reflector, the lens put in place, and the clamp band put on and tightened up. It works like a charm.
If you don't have a ready supply of drip irrigation tubing, start looking for something similar. The Big Box Stores sell clear vinyl tubing and may have something that will fit.

Remember, when all you have is a nail, everything starts to look like a hammer. I hope this helps you to start looking for hammers, or in this case, gaskets.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Rick, great idea. Actually, there are OEM gaskets to be found right here.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/453fp.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:44 pm

I've seen the TM gaskets and they are replacements for the OEM gasket. They are not what I found in my headlights. The old gaskets were one piece rubber not stapled together.

Rick (it does not look like a duck) Dulas

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:44 am

I think that bottom gap in the clamp is meant to be open to act like a weep hole.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:12 pm

i took apart quite a few pancake style lights and they all had the gasket which was stapled ,that was during my sealed beam rebuilding attempt.afew of them didnt have much of the staple intact though.i.e. rusted away .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Return to “Frame/Sheet Metal”