This morning I went up to the shop to take some pictures of the implements I'm bringing to StoneThrow, and got distracted building my own Electrolysis Tub.
Here's a series of pictures of the assembly, with one question at the bottom:
1. Cable assembly
2. I mounted the cables for the electrodes on the outside of the tank
3. And then attached the electrodes on the bolts inside the tank. Since this tank is made of hard rubber, I drilled the holes a little smaller than the bolts so there would be no leakage.
4. After the electrodes were mounted, the first wheel went in, sitting on two wood blocks, and with a wire lead bolted to the stud hole.
5. Next came the second wheel, sitting on another two wood blocks, with another wire bolted to the stud hole.
6. Next came the witches brew...8 pounds of tsp for about 25 gallons of water.
7. Hooked the positive cable to the electrodes and the negative to the wires connected to the wheels, and she's boiling immediately.
8. Here's my charger is set on 10 amps. but the indicator shows it's pulling 30 amps. After about 3 minutes, it clicks and goes down to 2 amps, and a few minutes later, it clickes again and goes back up to 30 amps. What's up with that?
9. I forgot to post this picture, which shows how I have the positive connected to the electrodes...the black cable goes around the outside of the tank and attaches to each bolt...and both wheels are attached to the negative side only.
10. I drained off 1/3 of the solution and replaced it with fresh water...and guess what? The charger is now running at a steady 22 amps, with no cycling! It's boiling along nicely, (maybe even better than it did at 30 amps), and the water is churning up and bubbling like a real witches brew!
11. Checked the progress the very next morning, and here is what I found. The tank was foaming really good, with a bunch of paint and rust floating all around.
What surprised me was that the charger was pushing 26 amps, and probably indicates that I have better connectivity now that a bunch of the paint has fallen off the wheels.
It also probably means that I still have too much TSP in the solution, because the charger is back to cycling, but only every 5 minutes or so. I'll probably remove some more of the solution and dilute with more fresh water to see what happens.