How to remove a rusty nut or bolt

Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:49 am

I know this elementary to most but a few may need the knowledge and most might learn one more tchnique
1] Soak in penetrating oil (Liquid wrench, Marvel Mystery Oil, diesel fuel, WD40, oil of wintergreen, bore cleaner). Allow time to work. I like to soak the rusted fastiner once weekly for a month or two with diesel fuel.
2] gently hammer the proper sized bolt out from Sears, Irwin, Home Depot and twist counter clockwise
3] if broken off then stud remover (if stub is long enough) or spiral extractor, or multispined extractor after drilling proper sized hole.
4] heating with torch then applying penetrating oil when warm not red hot
5] burning the nut off with torch
6] using torch to weld another nut
7] striking the bolt or nut with hammer and with medium force then more
penetrating oil.
8] cutting groove in nut with dremel and then enlarging groove with chisel.
and then more penetrating oil.
9] cutting off nut with cut off wheel.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:31 am

To remove larger bolts 3/8 and up that are deep seated the following works:

- Drill the bolt out with the largest bit you can use that won't damage the bolt hole threads

- Use a saber saw with a narrow metal cutting blade and saw through what is left of the bolt in three or four places. Don't worry if you saw into the threads a little it won't hurt anything.

- Take some bread, not Mama's homemade, but the doughy stuff and put it in the drilled hole. With a small chisel or screw driver loosen one of the bolt pieces and extract with a small set of needle nose pliers. The bread will keep the bolt pieces from falling into the hole and will desolve in water or oil.

- Put a sealer on the new bolt and you're ready to go.

I just removed two hydraulic fittings I busted off. Sounds like it would leak if you saw into the threads but I have never had one do so. Maybe one of our plumbers can tell us why it doesn't.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:09 pm

I don't know if anybody else has done or seen this, but brake fluid has worked wonders for operations like that.