This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A Drawbar Capacity

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Super A Drawbar Capacity

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

I have a heavy dump trailer and a heavy equipment trailer. Both of them have tongues that are heavier than my Super A's loader can lift. They're too much for the Cub's Fast Hitch too. I'm thinking in the 700lb range give or take.

I'm thinking in my head on how to build a hitch riser for the back of my Super A so I can have a receiver at a normal truck height for moving these trailers when I don't have two trucks available to shuffle them around.

Two questions: First, anyone know what the drawbar capacity is of a Super A? Second, anyone built a heavy hitch for the back of their Super A-related tractor and have some ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Re: Super A Drawbar Capacity

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 pm

I have a ‘46 A that earns its keep shuffling trailers on my property. This past summer I used it to move and park an empty BriMar 8,000lb capacity dual axle dump trailer. It handled it without breaking a sweat. I really don’t know what that trailer weighs empty but I also use it to move my Grady walkaround. Boat with trailer is probably better than 4,000lbs. Which is about the same as my camper which it also moves.
It’s a heck of a lot easier to jockey those trailers around with the tractor than with the truck. The tractor makes impossible turns into tight spaces the truck just can’t do.
I also use bolt on receiver hitches on my A and Cub.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:43 am

Have you considered larger diameter hydraulic cylinders for the loader?

We use a Bob Cat 610 skid steer to move/park our largest trailer. The Bob Cat's lift is rated at 1200 lbs.

Have a universal carrier for 3-point on front weighted WD Allis Chalmers. When we load the universal carrier with 600 or 700 lbs. of cement blocks, have to steer the WD using the brakes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 am

I do not know how much your Super A loader is rated to lift, but you may just need to adjust the bypass valve on the control . Most hydraulic vavle assemblies have a bypass valve under a hex cap nut that you just remove the nut and turn the stem CW to raise the bypass pressure.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70578
Tractors Owned: 1 69 Cub, 3 1951 SA's and tooling for all 4

Postby lwhiway » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 am

I have two SA's, one with a FEL and the other without.
As far as draw bar capacity, my rule of thumb is, if the TC unit will pick up the load off the tongue jack and keep the front wheels on the ground for steering, I'm good to go.

FWIW, my best addition to the draw bar was to put a quick 3pt hitch on it. It also has a receiver tube I added for attaching a hitch into it for towing. Works just fine.

BTW, I never try to exceed what the FEL and TC unit will allow to be picked up as ensure the front steering/axle assy and where it attaches to the front of the engine are within limits.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”