This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is this a good deal?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John S
10+ Years
10+ Years

Is this a good deal?

Postby John S » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:42 pm

I've been looking at this one on ebay as it's pretty close to home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Is a Farmall A without hydraulics a bad investment as far as resale.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:28 pm

Assuming his description is accurate and the drive train is OK it seems to be a fair deal.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:16 pm

A good "A" brings $1500 in Eastern PA. That one seems pretty nice....especially since a lot of the work has been done. They are a little bigger than the cub, and are great plowing, and cultivating tractors. They also can pull quite a bit more than a cub, and move about 10 MPH on the highway (not tooooo bad). One of he bad features are that the PTO is way to the left side (just like a cub), the good news is that it spins at 540, and turns the correct direction for most implements. A-specific implements are getting a little hard to find at good prices, in my opinion.

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:35 pm

Here in Oklahoma that would be a steal.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

John S
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John S » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:04 pm

Well it looks like I’ve bought a 1946 Farmall A. Previous post “Is this a good Deal?” After talking to the owner and getting the feedback here, I decided to go ahead and place a bid. I ended up being the only one, so I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I guess I shouldn’t second guess success. The owner says the tractor runs great and starts right up even in the bitter cold. Clutch, brakes and transmission are good. I’m hoping I can pick it up this weekend. It looks to be an easy project to finish. I get a little nervous buying anything large on ebay but his feedback was excellent. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:11 pm

Keep us posted John.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:52 am

John...You got a GOOD DEAL! CONGRATULATIONS! Anytime you can buy a Farmall Cub, A, B, C, H, or M for $1200.00 that's had as much work done to it as your "A" has...YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL! :wink: Of course you realize that you may get bitten by the Red Tractor Bug...you may develope a high fever that can only be cured by buying the rest of the "A"'s brothers and sisters in the Farmall line! BUT...Don't worry John, many others have encountered this same bug and have recouperated very nicely! :wink:

ENJOY your Farmall "A"...Drive it...Work it...Play with it...Repair it...Parade it...and let "kids" sit on it and turn the steering wheel! :D
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:06 am

That serial number is very high for an A and is late '47, not '46.

Red Power Magazine occasionally publishes a list of highest/lowest serial numbers reported in posession of the readers. I think this one is higher than the one currently listed for a Farmall A. If the number checks out, you should send it in to the magazine.

John S
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John S » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:34 am

Thank you "Country" Elliot, your post makes me feel good about the purchase. From all the looking I've done lately I thought it looked like a pretty good deal but it's nice to hear from some of you more experienced Farmall owners. And I'll watch out for that bug, I hear it's going around.
As for Jim Becker that's interesting to know about the serial number and year. I will defiantly check into to that ASAP. I'm picking the tractor up on Sunday! I'm not familiar with the Red Power magazine, is that a monthly & where can I purchase it?

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:40 am

Congrats on the good deal! Check out http://www.redpowermagazine.com for more info on the magazine, etc.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:46 pm

I truly love my A....although it is the other end of the age spectrum from yours, being a '40......I wouldn't trade it for another cub.....

John S
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John S » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:47 pm

I just got our new to us Farmall A home safe & sound. It appears to be everything the seller claimed it to be and didn’t over describe anything. The bad news is I already have a problem/issue I need to deal with so I need your folks help. After a nice one mile jaunt, as I was bringing it into the garage it died and I couldn’t get it restarted. My wife & I pushed it into the garage, we noticed the carburetor was dripping gas? On closer inspection it appears to be coming from a tiny hole in the very center of the bottom of carburetor float bowl. Just to clarify, it’s not coming from the drain plug. I don’t have a repair manual but I did find a parts manual online, from what I can tell it mentions a drip plug felt & a drip plug washer but no drip plug??? Can someone give me some advice on this? It has the Marvel-Schebler carburetor. Other than this little snafu that put a damper on the first day of ownership, I’m very happy with the tractor. While it was running it purred like a kitten. This is my first tractor that I’ve ever owned and would really appreciate any advice anybody out there can give me. Is there a repair manual online anywhere?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:07 pm

John:

Which model MS carb is it?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John S
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John S » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:22 pm

Dose TSX-157 sound like the right number for a 1947 Farmall A? Drips out of that tiny hole as soon as I turn the gas valve on. It looks like a small screw vibrated out maybe?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:56 pm

That is one of the correct carburetors for a gasoline-only Farmall A. Your problem is not that gasoline can drip out that opening, but that there is gasoline at the other side of that hole to drip out.

You have a leaking float valve, stuck float valve, stuck float, sunk float or related problem that is causing gas to continue running into the bowl when it should shut off.

Although it is a different carburetor and the exact parts and specific details are different from the Cub carburetor, it is exactly that same problem as when a Cub carburetor leaks fuel out the bottom.

Search the archives for questions about the same problem with a Cub. The same answers apply. Look at the maintenance tips on Rudi's server, particularly at Lurker Carl's carb fixes for more about what to do.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”