48 Super A Touch Control Rebuild

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm
Zip Code: 48821

48 Super A Touch Control Rebuild

Postby 48Cub48SuperA » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Working on Big RED RDE. 48 SA. Got the hydraulic unit taken apart. Nothing major wrong except a lot of worn out O-rings and gunk in it. It was cool to see it still had the original 70 year old leather dirt covers.
I could use some help please. The service manual lists a Drag Link Screwdriver 1" x 3/16" as needed to remove the Regulator Valve Seat. A search online does not help much. I assume this unscrews but how? 2 screw drivers? I thought about grinding down one of my 1 inch chisels to 3/16 and using that. Would that work? Do I need to clean it? I don't want to leave anything not updated in this.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 10055
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CO, Longmont

Re: 48 Super A Touch Control Rebuild

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Google "drag link socket" and I think you'll find what they are asking for. Your plan should work, although you may need to add a crescent wrench for additonal torque if it's tight. I have not done a TC on an A, but the removal is similar.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:45 pm
Zip Code: 37143
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 48 Super A Touch Control Rebuild

Postby Stalkcutter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 pm

You can make your own 1" Drag Link.
You will need a 5" length of 3/4" water pipe (O.D is 1").
A piece of 3/16 thick metal 3/4" tall by 1" long.
A 1 1/8" nut.

Grind a 3/16" wide slot across the end of the water pipe and centered about 1/2" deep. Place the 3/16" thick metal piece in the slot and weld ends at slots. Grind ends smooth. Now weld the 1 1/8" nut to other end of water pipe.

You can now use an end wrench, ratchet with socket. or impact wrench with your new Drag Link.

1 inch Drag Link.JPG
Chapter 9 TN Circle of Safety

User avatar
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4704
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 am
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '50 Cub Betty
'51 Cub ??
'55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: NC, Chapel Hill

Re: 48 Super A Touch Control Rebuild

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 pm

I took a cold chisel, ground it so it had two flat screwdriver-type sections, and ground the center into an arch to clear that center "post". Since the chisel had flats, I was able to put a large wrench to turn it while I pressed down. Worked quite well.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests