This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter Bendix Drive Question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Starter Bendix Drive Question

Postby w30bob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Decided to troubleshoot the starting system on my 140 today. I replaced the battery, cleaned all the wiring connections on the tractor and gave her a go. Noting. Just a very faint single click. Ok.....so I did the basic troubleshooting starting at the battery. First thing was the battery cable to the switch was junk. Replaced that. Also replaced the starter cable, as someone before me had broken it and crimped it back together after taking an inch or so out of it. Also checked the push button switch and that was fine. Ok, all back together....checked for 12V to the starter....which I had. Pushed the button and nothing, just a faint single click. Ok...time to pull the starter. Took it out and found the bellhousing was full of mouse nesting.....mostly cotton from somewhere. The cotton had jammed into the ring gear teeth on the flywheel and frozen the starter Bendix drive. Now it made sense why it wasn't working. Cleaned out all the crap from the bellhousing and from the Bendix drive. Then I noticed a funny thing. The Bendix was not retracted. Ok, played with it a bit and it did retract about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. It will go further back if you push on it with a screwdriver, but there's spring pressure keeping it from retracting further. The starter is a 12V 1107328 Delco Remy. How far should the Bendix retract from the fully extended position? My manuals haven't arrived yet and I can't find any videos for this starter online. Oh, I did bump the switch and the starter does crank the engine...........I just don't want to start it if the Bendix doesn't retract fully.

thanks,
bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Re: Starter Bendix Drive Question

Postby w30bob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Hmmmmm....I think I figured this one out. This is a ratchet type starter drive.....so once the engine starts it will spin fast enough to release and retract. At least that's what it looks like on the You Tube video.

Thanks,
Bob

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”