This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just bought a Super A - Have a few questions

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kingfisher
Zip Code: 27591

Just bought a Super A - Have a few questions

Postby kingfisher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 am

I found and purchased a non running super a from an estate. Due to the fact that it wasn't running, I was able to purchase for less than the value of the IH side dresser and cultivators. I got the tractor home, checked the fluids, replaced the battery, drained the gas tank and replaced with fresh gas. I was really surprised that it started almost immediately. Once running, i noticed some white smoke out of the oil filler tube and very low oil pressure on the gauge. The oil is very black but did not appear milky. I'll change before running the tractor. Other than the smoke and low pressure everything seems to be in pretty good shape. Steering is fairy tight with less than a quarter turn of play in wheel. Lift works very well. Only a very small amount of side to side wobble in the rear tires. Fertilizer dresser turns freely and seems to work well. Full set of cultivators including listers, rolling cultivators and layoff bar with middle buster. Sheet metal is straight with the exception of a small dent on the grill. Paint appears to be original (but I can't tell for sure). Has front bumper. Tires are only in fair condition with a good amount of cracking but hold air.

My questions are around the smoke and low oil pressure. Is the smoke blow by or water in oil from a bad head gasket? I'm hoping the oil pressure is a bad gauge or clogged pickup tube but it could be rings or worse. THe tractor does seem to have good power in all gears and starts in second with the cultivators down without a problem so I'm hoping the engine is in decent shape.

I'd like some of your expert opinions since I'm new to farmalls.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just bought a Super A - Have a few questions

Postby Super A » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am

I would guess the smoke is blow-by. Maybe once you start running it, try some Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. in the gas. Might help, might not depending on the condition of the engine.

If it runs good otherwise, you might be able to re-surface the bottom plate on the oil pump and get some improved pressure readings on the gauge. Long story short you pull the pan, remove the bottom plate on the oil pump, and sand it on some 400 grit or finer sandpaper on an absolutely flat surface (I used a piece of glass) until the plate is smooth. Then re-assemble with a new gasket.

Sounds like a great find!
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 am

Welcome!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the free PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Farmall SA more quickly.

This is for a Cub, but much of this thread applies to your tractor: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Sounds like some condensation in the engine producing the white smoke. Take some pictures of your tractor and post them. We’d like to see it.

Glad you joined us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

kingfisher
Zip Code: 27591

Postby kingfisher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm

See attached pictures of the tractor. I was really thrilled to find it as I'm tending a half acre garden with a tiller right now.

Super a 1.jpg
Super a 2.jpg
Super a 3.jpg

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:08 pm

+1 on marvels oil, if rings were frozen from sitting up it will help. Also if you take pan off to do the oil pump trick, you can also pull off a rod and main and look at the bearings. Get email miced and look for wear/damage. Just get new rod nuts when putting email back as they are lock nuts n once pulled they need to be replaced. Also if you pull more than one main and\or rod make sure they are marked as they MUST go back in right order.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Super A wrote:I would guess the smoke is blow-by. Maybe once you start running it, try some Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. in the gas. Might help, might not depending on the condition of the engine.

If it runs good otherwise, you might be able to re-surface the bottom plate on the oil pump and get some improved pressure readings on the gauge. Long story short you pull the pan, remove the bottom plate on the oil pump, and sand it on some 400 grit or finer sandpaper on an absolutely flat surface (I used a piece of glass) until the plate is smooth. Then re-assemble with a new gasket.

Sounds like a great find!
Al

Great tip Al !
Thanks I’m going to try that.
Do you know if that would help a Cub too or that a totally different animal?
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:39 pm

kingfisher wrote:See attached pictures of the tractor. I was really thrilled to find it as I'm tending a half acre garden with a tiller right now.

I feel for you! I have a much smaller garden I till and though it’s better than doing it with a shovel I feel like I fought that thing every step of the way. If I didn’t have it fenced in to keep the deer out I’d use the tractor too.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 am

Mike, if you drop the pan on a Cub, you won't find the oil pump! It's on the back of the block, a very different animal!

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:43 pm