Super A Touch Control Question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Super A Touch Control Question

Postby PoconoCub » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 am

My wife recently bought me a 54 Farmall Super A (No Serial Plate the PO replaced the original seat with a Monroe Seat) and I have a couple of problems with the Touch Control.

The Front plow blade will start to go down if the throttle isn't about half was, on idle it will drop totally. Do I need to rebuild the entire Touch Control to correct this?

The other problem is there is a pipe nipple with a cap to add Hydraulic Fluid which is fine but the is a hole in the pipe that Hydraulic Fluid squirts out of after using the Touch Control for a while and of course it's in a position that it squirts all over the battery floor pan and my feet. Is that hole supposed to be in the pipe nipple?

One other thing does anyone know a model number of a replacement shock absorber and spring for the Monroe Seat?
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

MiCarl
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Re: Super A Touch Control Question

Postby MiCarl » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:33 pm

My experience is with Cub touch control but I believe the A and Super A are pretty much the same thing only twice.

Second first: I think that hole in the pipe nipple might be a vent (Cub isn't vented). If it's over full it will spew oil when it heats up and expands.

The touch control has valving that should lock the implement in place, even with the engine off. It sounds like you need to rebuild the touch control block. That will be a total tear down and inspection.
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Super A

Re: Super A Touch Control Question

Postby PoconoCub » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:33 pm

MiCarl wrote:My experience is with Cub touch control but I believe the A and Super A are pretty much the same thing only twice.

Second first: I think that hole in the pipe nipple might be a vent (Cub isn't vented). If it's over full it will spew oil when it heats up and expands.

The touch control has valving that should lock the implement in place, even with the engine off. It sounds like you need to rebuild the touch control block. That will be a total tear down and inspection.

Farmall A's didn't have hydraulics and the Super A's do, the Touch Control system on the Super A as well as other Farmall's that use the same unit have 2 levers which I am currently using one for the plow blade in the front and the other for the Moldboard plow in the rear. The rear is holding fine but the front is the one that goes down if I do not have the idle up high enough.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety