This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First For Me, Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JohnnyR
Zip Code: 31088
Tractors Owned: 1952 Super A

First For Me, Super A

Postby JohnnyR » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes, I'm new to the forum. This is my first post.

I ran across a 52' Super A a couple days ago, and somehow it managed to follow me home (hard to believe I know).

I'm getting ready to retire and part of my plans include helping out with maintenance at church. Part of that is mowing about 10 acres. My back doesn't get along well with most commercial mowers and I remembered my Dad used a Super A with a 5' belly mower for several years. Thinking the SA should be much more back friendly I set out to search one out.

Looked over several. Some were only used to collect ribbons at fairs, some just well used. Finally found one that was fairly complete (hand crank stowed correctly, tool box under the seat, etc.), had straight sheet metal and could be put to work without a lot of effort.

It has it's fair share of leaks and dings in the grill of course, but I'm looking forward to spending some time with it. Neither one of us are spring chickens but we'll get the job done.

Looking forward to the forum.

JohnnyR

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: First For Me, Super A

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Johnny, Welcome to the Forum. Have fun with your SA.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:49 am

Welcome! There are several Farmall A and SA owners on here.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to all the free PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download a Super A Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Super A more quickly. Implement and Parts Manuals are also available.

Might also enjoy reading through this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home
Even though you have a SA instead of a Cub, many of the suggestions apply.

I see you're just south of Macon, GA. The Deep South CubFest is straight south of you near Sneads, FL. Info on it (for next year) and other CubFests (for this year) AND articles on what a CubFest are all about are located here:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=8 You should make plans to attend.

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them. We’d like to see it. Get your second post logged and download those manuals.

Glad you joined us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:30 am

Welcome and like Stanton said you can look at the PDF files after your 2nd post. I use those manuals he mentioned and also the Super A parts manual. I like the parts manual as it shows all the parts and how they fit together. It really helps when you have a part in your hand and can't figure out how it fits back on LOL... The repair manuals usually only say what to do and how it bolts on, I like "SEEING" how it goes on as that makes it easier for me at least... Good luck with the mowing and fixing up that Ol Tractor...
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for the welcome. From what I've seen there is a lot of information and experience around here. I look forward to learning and participating.

I've got a picture or two of the new acquisition to post. Just trying to get the file size down a bit.

Cheers

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am

JohnnyR wrote:Thanks for the welcome. From what I've seen there is a lot of information and experience around here. I look forward to learning and participating.

I've got a picture or two of the new acquisition to post. Just trying to get the file size down a bit.

Cheers

In order to make a photo work on the forum I open it in Microsoft paint on my laptop. I then resize it clicking pixels, and replace the larger number with 600 or up to 800 (nothing larger).
It can be viewed well at that size .
I then go through the PITA down loading to flicker to host it.
Then in order to get what I need from there to post I have to click on my image to enlarge, right click to get info, scroll down and copy the line that says “jpg” at the end.
Then I paste that between the [img] [img] icons on the forum. Yes it is a PITA but it’s good work on a rainy day.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Trying to work out the posting pictures trick.

Here are a couple shots of the SA. Looks a little rough, but fairly complete considering it has had a working life. The most obvious missing part is the battery box.

Runs pretty good but I suspect a tune up would help. The tag under the seat indicates it is a Super A (FAA prefix). The serial number is 332488. I was told that is a 1952 number.

Resized_20200519_184556_2040 1.jpeg

Resized_20200519_184455_3882 1.jpeg

Hopefully we'll be able to get busy before not too much longer.

Cheers,

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Nice solid-looking SA!
The first time I had to pull out the battery on my SA, I found out why so many battery boxes were missing! :evil: I think IH started with a battery in a battery box and proceeded to build a tractor around it!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety