This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall A with replacement engine

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall A with replacement engine

Postby Bill Blansett » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:46 am

I am back again, for those who remember me. I recently purchased a 1945 "A" that has what seems to be a much later engine. I suspect it to be from a model C. The engine serial # is FCM*****. This engine has the mounting pad for a Hydraulic pump. On the right side of the block in approx half inch letters is the word "Special". Can anyone enlighten me on what the "M" in FCM refers to and what might the word "Special" mean. My search in books does not reveal anything on this.

Your help and replies appreciated. Thanks, Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:00 am

Bill, I can't help with your questions but it's good to hear from you! We missed you at Cubarama. I talked to a fellow who (I believe) said he was a neighbor of yours. Don't be a stranger!

Bigdog
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:06 am

Glad to hear from you again bill, you missed another great cubarama. Can't help you any with the Special, but FCM is the standard prefix for both C and super C engines.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:46 am

The "FCM"is like John said. Here is what I have been told on the "SAMPLE" parts. When IH contracted with outside foundaries, particularly a new supplier, they would order a small batch of castings and have the word "SAMPLE" cast into the part. After the parts were checked out, if they were OK they went into a tractor. Some customer ended up with the "SAMPLE" part. Essentially, it meant the part was tagged for extra QC and reporting steps.

The only parts like this that I have seen first hand were very early Super A blocks. The C block is the same part number.

Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

More on the Farmall A engine

Postby Bill Blansett » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Thanks to Big Dog, John and Jim for the fast replys. I don't have the"A" parts catalog, but I do have the one for the Super A. I think I found that the FCM is not only the engine for The Model C and some Super A's, but it is by the code, the more powerful C 123 engine. I was glad to find this out. Jim, your analysis is probably correct on the block, however what had me puzzled was the word "Special". Do you know how the engines for the C was identified if it was a "High Altitude" engine. Of course, like I stated, this is a replacement engine and has no connection to the tractor model and serial plate. Sure wish this engine was in my Super A which has the C 113 engine. Oh well....Thanks for the help. Bill

P.S. Yes, I sure have missed the interface with all of you and the new fellow tractor men. Lots of new names that I don't recognize.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:04 pm

I guess I need to read closer. The SAMPLE marking was in the same place and size as the SPECIAL you described.

The FCM prefix was used on both the 113 and 123 engines. The 123 MAY have "C-123" cast into the side. A 113 block is part 251069R1. A 123 block is part 354898R1. The 123 engine numbers may have started at 100001, but that is just a hunch.

If this engine doesn't have the 898 part number, I wonder if the SPECIAL designates one of the test engines that was overbored to test in a few Cs.

A high altitude engine should be identified by a suffix letter on the engine number. Not sure which code was used on the C or Super C.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill