Farmall Super A versus International Industrial A (AI)

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:37 pm

I am restoring what I thought was a Farmall Super A with a heavy duty front axle. It is the square box cast type with the big tension rod pivot that reaches back to the right rear engine flange. My question is this: Is this 1951 tractor a Farmall Super A, or is it an International AI due to the front axle. I really like the tractor, either way, but I do want the correct decals on it after painting. I have Ken Updike's Cub book, but it is not real clear to me if there were other differences. There were no markings left on the rusty hood when I obtained the tractor. Your comments appreciated.

Bill

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:34 pm

Based on what you have said so far, it could still be either one. The definitive answer would be on the serial plate. A Farmall model designation is FAA and the International is IAA. The other differences I know of:
International has foot operated governor control (obvious if all there).
International has slightly different valving inside the Touch Control (probably never detect it).

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks Jim, You have answered my question. My tractor is a Farmall Super A with the heavy duty front end. I had referred to Ken Updikes Cub book in error. I should have mentioned the Farmall Letter series tractor book. Of course it wouldn't be in the Cub book. I reckon I have too many irons in the fire at one time to think straight. I sure admire your extensive knowledge bank on tractors. Not trying to smear more "butter", but I also look forward to your articles in Red Power. Thanks, Bill

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:26 pm

We have a IH A it has an IAA serial number with the heavy duty front axle. Thanks Brandon.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:58 pm

are the IH A rare?? I purchased one last week its all the and has the foot throttle.