This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another steering question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
NCSUmoomba
Zip Code: 27503

Another steering question

Postby NCSUmoomba » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 am

I know there have been several threads about the loose steering, but I have another question that I didn't see addressed.

We just pulled apart the steering on my Dad's 140 (1973?) and the only thing we found was the upper bearing was shot. Probably because my Dad has NEVER put any fluid in it. (I think I read that 80 or 90 gear oil is used for "International Steering OIl". We were a little concerned about the lower seal (the SKF 471765?) is only single sided, whereas the one we pulled out was two sided. (I'm sure Squatch253 would not be surprised.)

Anyway, we put it all back together, and there is still quite a bit of play in it. The gears looked fine. The bushing looked fine. The keys looked good, although the upper one had a VERY slight bit of play. Would a tiny but of play cause the system to have about maybe 60 to 90 degrees of play in it? The other thing we noticed is that the steering shaft still moves in and out quite a bit even though the castle nut behind the bearing is as tight as it can get. It seems to have bottomed out on the step in the shaft.

Thanks for the help!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another steering question

Postby Super A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pm

My experience has been that a tiny bit of play = a bunch of slop in the front wheels when it's all back together. Is the vertical sector shaft moving up and down, or the long shaft that the steering wheel is attached to? You're probably looking at a complete overhaul of the steering gearbox to get it back tight.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am

The steering shaft moving in and out = steering play. You need to address that.

NCSUmoomba
Zip Code: 27503

Postby NCSUmoomba » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 am

The vertical shaft shouldn't be moving, we just repaired that. We replaced the #17 "Steering worm wheel shaft ball bearing" (ST288 used National 305) which was totally shot and, obviously the #26 "Steering worm wheel shaft oil seal" (382230r91 used National 471765), but everything else was "fine" (read: not worn enough to merit the trouble of replacing). We removed the #11 "Steering worm" nut because Dad thought the whole steering shaft needed to be removed, but we didn't need to. We put it back on pretty tight, but there is still some in & out play in the (long) "Steering worm shaft" (#6). How is the blacklash and/or mesh adjusted between those gears? It seemed odd that when we put that nut back on that it bottomed out on the step in the shaft. Thanks!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:33 am

I'm not sure on the 140 but I would suspect it could be shimmed to eliminate the end play.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 am

NCSUmoomba wrote:The vertical shaft shouldn't be moving, we just repaired that. We replaced the #17 "Steering worm wheel shaft ball bearing" (ST288 used National 305) which was totally shot and, obviously the #26 "Steering worm wheel shaft oil seal" (382230r91 used National 471765), but everything else was "fine" (read: not worn enough to merit the trouble of replacing). We removed the #11 "Steering worm" nut because Dad thought the whole steering shaft needed to be removed, but we didn't need to. We put it back on pretty tight, but there is still some in & out play in the (long) "Steering worm shaft" (#6). How is the blacklash and/or mesh adjusted between those gears? It seemed odd that when we put that nut back on that it bottomed out on the step in the shaft. Thanks!

There is no adjustment. If anything has any wear at all, it needs to be replaced. MOST of the time, there's not much wear on the worm wheel shaft gear. Check the nut on the end of the worm wheel shaft, as well as the condition of that bearing. The big bearing retainer you screw down on the front needs to be tight. It seats the bearing inside the housing.

And old timer told me that when you go into the steering gear, you're better off to replace everything. I suspect you also have wear on the keyway where the sector gear fits to the vertical shaft--sometimes you can't tell until the weight of the tractor is on it. That's a lot of $$$, but fortunately Steiner has the most expensive parts available now, much better than caseIH's price.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”