This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Am I in 3-Point Trouble?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:12 pm

I purchased large hitch pins and cut the "head" ends off them, and then threaded them on my lathe to match the threads of the holes in the final drives. I used an implement bolt taken out of one of the holes as a reference. I threaded them into the final drives, put on the lift arms, and then put the spring-pins back in the ends.

Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:35 pm

Allen,

Your idea makes a neat installation! :D

You're not in trouble, provided the re-threaded hitch pins tighten on a shoulder rather than the bottom of the hole. As I think you already know, tightening in the bottom of the hole can cause damage to the casting. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:42 pm

Oops, forgot to mention, I made the threads a little longer than necessary and threaded a large nut onto each of the pins so that it wouldn't go all the way into the hole - thanks for the reminder George! Although I think from memory those holes might be through-holes...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:41 pm

They are only through holes if somebody already bottomed out a bolt and popped the end out of the hole.

My 2 concerns are:
- You are now using one bolt for a job that had been done by 2. It will be much easier to damage the housing than with 2 bolts.
- Your front pivot points are pretty wide. It will not behave well if you use it with draft equipment.

Depending on how you intend to use it, neither of these points may matther.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Jim,

Where were there two bolts prior?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:40 pm

In each drawbar bracket.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:15 am

Should I fabricate mountings that will use both holes and move the arm mount points toward the center of the tractor?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:36 am

I would say yes.

What you might want to consider is a complete cross-bar to join the final drives together in this case. This way you can locate the arms wherever you want, mount them using both bolt holes on both sides, and eliminate any twisting on the final drives that may have been incurred.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”