Do I have a voltage Regulator Problem?

Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Do I have a voltage Regulator Problem?

Postby Sqz-Box » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:07 pm

Folks, I noticed the 3 caps on my battery (on the Farmall A) were bubbling while the tractor was running. The ampmeter should that it was really charging. I checked the fluid levels and I was really surprised to see how low they were. I added Distilled H2O and ran the tractor again. The meter was charging at the same rate and soon the caps were bubbling again. I ran it for a few minutes longer and when I shut it off, the caps bubbled for another minute. Is my voltage regulator bad? AND, did I just create a new problem by adding water rather than acid? I live in NW Wisconsin.
Kevin
Sqz-Box

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:21 pm

do NOT add acid unless it has been spilled. If a battery is lwo form use, only water is needed. bubbling when charging heavy is normal. teo tell if ovltage reuglator is bad you need a a voltmeter to check chargin voltage. Are you sure it has a regualtor rather than a cutout? If light switch has L, H, D, B settings, set it to the L position (low charge rate).
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:36 am

Well, I'd swear I posted a response to this last night but I can't find it anywhere. :?
Anyway, as John said, add only water unless there is a spill. Only the water evaporates and needs replenishing. However, since you noticed the bubbling while running and the electrolyte level was low, it is very possible that your battery is over-charging. If you have a 3 brush generator, you can slow the charge rate by moving the third brush. Otherwise, your suspicions may be correct on the regulator. If you have a voltmeter, check to see what the voltage at the battery terminals is when the system is charging.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Return to Farmall A, Super A, AV