This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

She said it was a Cub..... My saga begins.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

She said it was a Cub..... My saga begins.

Postby wvpolekat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:27 pm

So, my wifes grandmother hears I am on the lookout for a tractor to go with the 14 acres we just bought. She tells us that her sister still has their fathers tractor up at the old farm and we should give her a call.

The wife finally gets in touch with her last night and is told that it is a 1950 Farmall Cub and that the motor is froze up, and she would take $300 for it if we are interested.

This morning, we take a little drive in the country to have a look at it. Low and behold it isn't a Cub at all, but a Super A. Further investigation reveals it is not a 1950 either, it is a 1949.

Now, it's a little rough around the edges, but appears more or less complete. We picked up the beast, a 2 bottom plow, grader/snow blade, harrow/rake, and a "buck rake" for $500 along with another Farmall we are still trying to ID. I think we did pretty good on it.

The "buck rake" as she referred to it was contraption that mounted on a frame at the front which had several 3 foot sharpened wooden poles sticking out of it. Appeared to be something of a manure bucket or similar. It is pretty rotten and will more than likely be used as scrap.

The plow was attached and appears to be complete. It is mounted to a spring loaded contraption underneath that appears to be attached to the drawbar, with the drawbar pointing towards the front of the tractor. Hard to get a good look until we drag it out of the shed.

The rake is just that, 3 rows of 4 tines on a metal frame. Appears to be in decent condtion considering it's age.

I haven't determined if the grader/plow assembly is a home built one or not. Will know more once I get it out of the shed.

As for the extra tractor, completely unsure what it is other than a Farmall with no sheetmetal and a tricycle frontend.

Now, for the main attraction......

It's a 49 Super A, motor is frozen, sheetmetal has a nice coat of surface rust but no significant dents or rust throughs. Has been converted to alternator and I assume 12v. Rear tires appear decent with no significant cracks. Front have been converted over to car/truck wheels and tries.

So, that's my Farmall story to this point. We are going to try to get up there with the trailer next weekend, drag it out of the shed and somehow get it up on the trailer. The goal is to restore it and I am sure there will be a fair number of questions.

Some pictures:
From the front
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/49SuperA/PB220014.JPG
Right side engine
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/49SuperA/IMGP0661.JPG
Left side engine
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/49SuperA/IMGP0662.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:35 pm

Welcome to this forum.
I'm not sure if thats a deal.
ITS A FANTASTIC DEAL :D
Good Luck
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:36 pm

Oh, I forgot about the sicklebar mower that is in working order. :)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:08 pm

Nice find! Welcome aboard!

You still in WV? if so - what part?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Yep, still in WV, Buckhannon. Right by Sago of CNN fame from a year ago. Actually, the wife is from here, I was transplanted here a year ago from Houston and have loved every Hurricane free moment of it.

Guess I should put some info in my profile.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:18 pm

great find. super A is a wet sleeve engine, so it may be better to put in new sleeves and pistons than to get the old ones free.

The buck rake you describe is probably for picking up piles of loose hay.

Is the plow a 2 way (one molboard turned each way)? A regular 2 bottom would be quite a load for a Super A, unless they were 10 inch bottoms.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:22 pm

I have thought about resleeving instead of rebuilding. But, I would like to at least give freeing it up an effort. We don't have a barn/shed/anything up at the property yet, so until that happens, I would like to postpone major surgery.

On the plow, I honestly do not know. It is still buried in the shed and hard to get a good look at, but here is the one picture I snapped if you can make it out:
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/49SuperA/IMGP0660.JPG
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)
----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Polekat,

What you describe was also known as a buck rake up here in northern Ohio. They were often mounted on old shortened car chassis called "doodlebugs".

The plow gives enough clues to identify it as a 2 way or hillside plow.

Now we need to see pictures of the other tractor!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:33 pm

2 - way! Nice find!
Bigdog

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:34 pm

wvpolekat:

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

On the Manual Server below are a number of A manuals to help you out a bit...

Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ Prior to Posting. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub. In addition to this basic information, there are also a number of other useful tools available on the server. There is the Specialty Services page which has contact info for neat stuff like getting your seats recovered, buying quality Decals, Serial Number tags and a host of other neat items. Also there are the Parts Pages - both Used Parts Suppliers and New Parts Suppliers pages with links to quality dealers. I am always looking for YOUR favourite dealers for New and Used Parts to include here. These pages are intended to complement our Official FarmallCub.com Website Sponsors:

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.

IF you really want to get the skinny on all things Cub, might I suggest you get a copy of Ken Updike's Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet's :?: . While you are at it Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet is Ken's latest addition to the series. Along with Guy Fay's Letter Series Originality Guide, these are three must have's in anyone's collection.

In addition to the above information, don't forget to check out the various articles that are available to help with your Repair, Restore, Rebuild or just your Maintenance Projects. There are a number of sub pages such as Electrolysis or Rust Zapper's, Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques, Implement and Part Sketches and of course the Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions which has the Paint Chart and the Paint Committee Decisions links.

Oh, and while the program still lasts.. you might want to check the Announcement: Navistar Free Gas Cap Offer - On-Line Form thread at the top of the Cub Forum and send away for the new style safety cap before that program runs out as well.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:37 pm

Looks like a 2 way. :wink:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:58 pm

So, I have some dumb questions about getting this thing out of the shed and to it's new home.

The plow is currently resting on the ground, and since it doesn't run, I can't really raise it. Is this simply a matter of lifting it and chaining it up?

I am assuming that the best way to get it out of it's current spot is a chain and the truck in 4 low? The area in front of the building is grass and uphill slightly. Unfortunately, we don't have another tractor available to pull it with, so that just leaves us with the wifes Pathfinder, since my 2wd F-250 is useless on anything but level, flat ground. Pretty confident it will be able to pull it out of there once we air the tires up.

Now, for what I fear will be the worst part. Getting it up on the trailer. I have a couple of ideas here:

1) Come-along on the front of the trailer to pull it up. My shoulder does not like this option one bit. :)

2) Attach a pulley to the front of the trailer, run a cable to the front of the tractor, then the other end to the truck pulling at 90 degrees to the trailer. Would have to make sure everyone is WAY out of the way of the cable in case of failure.

3) Pull the tractor up on a hill a bit, put the trailer downhill from it, use the hill to roll it on the trailer. This isn't as drastic as it sounds, it won't be a bonzi run to the trailer, think a more gentle slope.

I really think i will end up with a combination of 2 and 3, but I suspect that we will just have to think creatively and use what we have.

If worse comes to worse, I can borrow a roll back from a family friend, but I really hate to do that unless all other options fail.

And finally....

I really have no use for some of the implements. This project is more of a sentimental one for the wife than expecting to end up with a tractor I expect to "farm" with. So the plow, for example, is not of much use to me. Is there much of a market for these? Couple of the replies seemed to think the 2 way plow was a bit of a find.

Her attachment is more to her great grandpa's tractor than the bits attached to it. We are hoping to get it running and such this winter/next spring to be able to run it in the Strawberry Festival parade. This may be a bit too optimistic of a goal, but we can try.

Looks like worst case scenario for the engine itself is re-sleeving, which really simplifies thing in a way. Turns it into more of a parts change than having to send things out to the machine shop and such. Wife is already asking for sandpaper to start on the hood.

Reckon this also gives me a reason to obtain, build a sandblasting rig, which also means a bigger air compressor. Ah, let the money hemmoriging begin!

Sorry for the rambling. Just happy to have found this and have a chance to get it back running and let her family see the old family tractor up and running again.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:20 pm

I'd wait until I had the tractor running before I decided to get rid of the implements. Once you have it up and running you might be surprised what you want to keep.
Bigdog

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:34 pm

A few thoughts. First off, don't be too quick to dismiss the implements as something you don't want. With 14 acres, you will probably find that you want to play with the tractor. I think a bare tractor with no implements gets fairly uninteresting pretty quickly. Whether you plan to keep or sell any of the implements, do your best to gather up all the pieces that are scattered around in or outside the barn. Missing pieces make them hard to use or sell. (For a start, I can see a crank, implement wrench and a bent headlight bracket in a box below the tractor. A knife for the mower is next to the shovel.)

On moving and loading, get a chain or cable long enough to reach back to the drawbar when pulling it. You just got it so no point pulling into two pieces and converting it to scrap iron first thing. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

You probably can lift the plow (one side at a time) and temporarily shorten the lift chains to get it off the ground while moving it. In one picture, I can see the right chain is in an original type hook, so you can just rehook it shorter. The left is probably the same.

Post a picture of the other tractor and we can probably identify it.

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:56 pm

Next time we are out there, I will take a pic of the other carcass. I did not look at it too closely.

So, if I am understanding correctly, I should pull it from the front by using the drawbar? And not pull it by the front axle? Seems that I have bigger problems if I risk breaking the machine in half by pulling it by the front...

There is a frame of some sort that you can see in the picture that runs from the very front, underneath to the same points the drawbar attaches to. Think that would be ok?

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”