This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

She said it was a Cub..... My saga begins.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

It is home!

Postby wvpolekat » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Ok, we extracted it today. Wasnt too much trouble overall. Took pulling from a couple of different angles with the wifes Pathfinder to get it out if it's resting spot. Putting air in the tires went a long way towards making it roll well.

Once we got it rolling it was smooth rolling. Brakes still function, so that was good.

Backed the trailer up to a hill, drove it down the hill 75% of the way on to the trailer, little more pulling with the Pathfinder to get the rest of the way.

Strapped/chained her down and pulled it home without event.

As promised, I took some pictures of the other carcass. By the serial it is a 1945 A, but it has been completely stripped, and isnt really worth much.
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/athome/IMGP0679.JPG
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/athome/IMGP0678.JPG

As for the one we drug home, you can browse the pictures:
http://www.wvpolekat.com/Farmall/athome/

And no comments about my lack of butt and ability to keep my pants up!
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)
----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:35 pm

congratulations, wvpolekat you won the battle. Now you will need a case of Kroil
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Congratulations! We're glad it went well.

It looks like you used the suggested loading method. :D

Although the B doesn't look like much it may be valuable to you since the two tractors share basically the same drive line. It could be well worth recovering. The open stack doesn't bode well for the engine but you never know.

If the Super A is an early one the engines may even be the same? I forget when the engines changed. :( Maybe earlier?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:10 pm

wvpolekat, congrats on a nice job and a great find, the other tractor looks like a Farmall B it may be another great project as well
Jim Turner

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:36 pm

The other tractor looks like an A with the front end off of a B or BN. It has quite a few parts that may be useful on the Super A. Unfortunarely, in spite of the outward appearance, quite a few parts will NOT be the same.

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:00 am

I seriously doubt I will go through the trouble to retrieve the other one, unless she just wants it gone. It has been stripped of just about everything that unbolts, and really doesn't hold much interest for me as a ressurection project, regardless of it's rarity. Just more project than I can take on in the forseeable future.

I think that Jim nailed the ID with it being an A with a B or BN front end. Seems the Bs have the engine in center and narrow front end. Where the A had cultivision with wide front end. His explaination makes perfect sense, although around these parts narrow front end is rare. Possible someone had a need for one. General feeling is that they are death traps on the hills here.

But, if anyone may be interested in it, PM me and we can see what we can work out.
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)

----------------------------------------------------------

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:09 am

Well i can see a few parts,magneto,steering wheel,seat springs,platform, valve cover,oil pan, head is probably salvageable. probably a few more there. Remember all those little parts add up if you have to buy them.Not to mention the axles,tranny,gas tank(which will not fit your super a)due to the mounting brackets are not made for the hydraulic block.

someone slapped a front end on it like Jim said off a B or BN. I gather all the junk up i can. you never know ,might build one from scratch one of these days.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:26 am

Most of the internal transmission and final drive parts of the mogrel A (if it is a later one) are interchangeable with the Super A, most of the major housings are not. I notice it has the WWII cast iron shift knob.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:17 pm

wvpolekat: Very soon after I bought my first Cub, I purchased a belly mower for it. While picking up the mower, the seller told me that there was a pile of "junk" over by the fence which came with his Cub, his wife was pressuring him to get rid of it and I was welcome to take what I wanted. Anything I left would be hauled off by the trash collector. I picked out a few things but, not being familiar with tractors, I left most of it as I didn't know what it was. As I learned more about Cubs and their implements, I found that I had taken a few parts of what was probably a complete fast-hitch. I checked back with the seller but the remainder was long gone with the trash man. I believe that I gave $100.00 for the mower but left several times that amount of useful items which were discarded. When I buy something now, I take everything which the seller volunteers to give me. If I can't use it I can loan it to someone who wants it, sell it, trade for something I want or simply give it to someone who needs it. I have done each of these at one time or another. If you take the second tractor, you may be able to make several people happy because you can supply something which they need. And if you sell the parts, you may find that the money you get pays you very well for the time spent in moving it. Dan

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”