This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Its home The Finaly Story!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Its home The Finaly Story!

Postby cjpenny89 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 am

Well I can hardley say its the Final Story but Its the Final chapter of How I got this 1947 Farmall A home!

It started Saterday with me loading up everything under the sun I thought I needed.
(2) 3 ton floor jacks, 2 torpedo heaters, tarps, tools propane tank, propane torch, home made skis. By the time I got the truck loaded it was already squating and I didn't even have the trailer hooked up.
Sunday arrived and I was up making coffee running through my list.
My buddy got there and we went to pick up my dad and a few things there.
I had to take a generator to run the heaters and pick up ice picks.
We left at 9:15 and made it there at 10:00
When we got there I finished paying what I still owed on the tractor and the daughter of the ower took it and left us to work. It was funny there was a note on the door that said I would like to buy your tractor please contact me at this number Dave.
I was happy I had put a down payment on it last time I went to pick it up.

OK the nitty gritty! We un-hooked the trailer and drove the tool truck out to the tractor. Got out the jacks and started jacking up. Found out the chains were froze way down under the tire. But jacking it up and letting it down gave us enough slack to un hook the chains. jacked it back up the rear wheels spun. Let it back down tryed to pull it out and couldn't move it.
Dad yelled its in gear the tires are fighting each other. get out doble check and it felt like it was in neutral but can not put it in any gear or put it in neutral. The gear box must be froze up or the shifter poped out or stuck between gears.
Well unloaded the skis I build heavey duty ones! got them under the tires latched then down to the wheels and gave it a tug out she came. I stopped and said lets get the trailer and back it up under the rear wheels.
This was avery very big mistake. Got the trailer back it up and hooked up the chain fall started pulling it no problems but we had to stop could not get the tractor on the ramps right. went to move the truck and trailer and the truck sank like a lead ballon. un hooked the trailer and it sank more.
after trying to jack up the rear tires to put tire chains under the wheels for traction but that didn't work the jack only went down into the mud.
so I had just enough chains to reach about 75 feet to the nearest tree along with the chain fall driving and using the chain fall we got un-stuck.
by this time I my carharts were froze stiff full of mud and snow from crawling under the truck.
Next step was to jerk the trailer side ways to get it on good ground to hook back up to the truck.
got the trailer up in the driveway of coure all the tools are on the trailer.
went back out to tow the tractor up to the driveway. well it would not move the tractor had got to far forward on the skis and it was just diggin in. SO off I go carrying the 3 ton jack 200 yards through the snow.
got it put back on the skis right and I jerked it up to the driveway. there was lots of work getting it to this point but once I got it moving I didn't stop and it went good!
hooked up to the trailer and back it under the rear wheels. I pulled it backwards since the front blade was on and I had the draw bar to pull on.
by this time I was so tired it was not even funny. My buddy cj was just as tired and my dad who is 73 was ready to go home but hung in there like a trooper!
What I didn't realize was how much work was left using the chain fall to pull this tractor up the trailer ramps. I jacked up the front of the trailer giving us a smaller angle to pull. we had to help the ramps a little bit becasue the skis at first where grabbing on the ramps. once we got the frotns up over the little hump it mover the first foot no problem. My ski's were lined with pole barn steel fasten with screws and washers and every once in a while the screw would get hung up on the mesh ramps.
My freind and I took turns with the chain fall and I think both our arms were gonna fall off. It was the last little bit after re hooking the chain fall to get the trator all the way on. My friend CJ did the last of it he was acting like he was gonna die but would not let me finish it. He didn't tell me till after I bought lunch on the way home that it had made the hump and was easy as pie to pull it he was just faking it! I had to laugh!
we loaded it tied it down and we were ready to go home.
Dad says you gonna get the one bottom plow? I said are you kidding I said heck no!!!!! My plans are to go after work one day and get it.
The drive home was terrible it had been slippery and went on the way there but it snowed the whole time we were there and the way home was icy! it was 2 hands and 30 miles an hour but it was home!
When we got there dad pushed in the clutch and said try that engine I hoped up there and she spun right over! I was so happy it wasn't even funny! I almost sparked up enough energy to work on getting it off the the trailer but I said almost! we back the trailer into dads barn and left it.
He is going to try and thaw it out this week and I will prepare to pull the shifter cover off to investage!
The good news is its home and it rolls over! the nighbor had came over and told me it was sitting there for 5-7 years and about 10 years ago it was overhualed by the dealer!
The bad news is no pictures :( I was so tired and dirty I was not getting out the camera. I will try to take picks of the set up as it sits on the trailer!
Hope the story wasn't boring or to long. I will have to take the truck into the car wash this week it is solid mud and ice what a mess!
oh and I have a yard to fix this spring when I go back for the drag and disk.
Chad

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:41 am

Congratulations Chad! (sounds like a normal pick-up to me) :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

yup, I agree with Bigdog, sounds about normal. there is a good possibility that there is nothing wrong with the shifter, just enough water in the oil that the gears are frozen in place.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:10 am

Get that puppy in a heated shop and pull all the drain plugs! :)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 am

A great story on the recovery process. Glad you got it home. Dan

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:26 am

thanks guys!
I would not be surprized that my dad isn't out in his shop firing up the heaters right now and pulling the plugs and trying to get it ready to run!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:06 am

Way to go Chad. Maybe it is just in 2 gears
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 pm

Great recovery job. Hey at 73 your dad is not old. Us 1932 babies the the 1933's are still kids.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Congrats! Persistence pays! It's great that you rescued it!
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks guys! You know my dad will be 73 in april and I will be 33 in april I am just plan whiped today an sore! I can not imagine how he feels! I know he never said a word about anything and was right there helping me out. My dad has been one my best friend for a lot of years now and you know he is always there helping me its a great thing!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Heck that makes him a 1934 vintage just like my brother Bob. Another good year.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:55 pm

Glad you got it home. :D Somebody I'm sure has the phone number for a good shrink. :lol: :lol:
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

FuryIII
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FuryIII » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:02 pm

im glad your saga has ended. sounds like you worked your tail off. im pretty sure you thought about giveing up. ill bet your glad now that you didnt.

Farmall560
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmall560 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 pm

Good job! Congrats on the new find. :wink:

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:03 pm

What a great story! Reading it I felt like I was right there. I think it was great you were able to have the experience along with your Dad. You'll be talking about that day for many years to come. Mission accomplished!
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”