Farmall A or Farmall Super A???

Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Farmall A or Farmall Super A???

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:58 pm

I'm looking at a tractor that the seller is calling a Farmall Super A. The only problem i have with that is the hydraulic pump is mounted on the generator and driven by the pulley on the generator. The pump on the pics of super a tractors seems to be like the ones on the cub criven off the motor and piped to the rear. It has what appears like a home welded hydraulic setup too. The hydraulic oil tank is mounted vertical outside the tractors sheetmetal next to the radiator. If my facts are correct the Farmall Super A has a hydraulic setup like the farmall cub has and the tank and cylinder should be under the gas tank right?

Is the owner trying to pass off this farmall a as a farmall super a because of the added on hydraulics? It also lacks the horsepower upgrade the super a has too.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but the added on hydraulic pump that is strapped on the generator just doesn't look like an orginal farmall setup.

So is it a Farmall A or a Farmall Super A?? HELP??????
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.
BigBill
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 00000

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm with you Bill, sounds like an "Added" pump. That might not be a bad thing though, if the price is right? Pretty sure that someone on the Forum was doing just that to an A, they found a gen/hyd pump combo unit from some car, not sure if they finished the project yet.

The A is pretty nice tractor, especially if you are looking for a mowning machine with some more power than a Cub.

There's a post right now showing a picture of a Super A in the normal Cub Forum, take a look at it, not sure if it shows the hyd setup though.
Mike Duncan
Into Tractors
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 45387

Postby Daniel H. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:22 pm

It is possible, although unlikely, that is is a Super A that did not originally have the hydraulics, it was an option. The instrument panel is a dead giveaway, the A has an oval can on the steering post (like an afterthought) the Super A has the instrument panel integral with the base of the steering support.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."
Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:01 pm

I don't believe the A had the flat spot on the torque tube for the Touch control wither, but the serial number (left seat support) will tell. Super A started at 250001
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:42 pm

I believe the serial number starts with a 19.... so its an imposter its an A.
I'm going to hold out for a real super A.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.
BigBill
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 00000

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Block was also different so as to mount the pump, and the heads were different as well.
LiL' Red
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 61401
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Return to Farmall A, Super A, AV