Latest adoption

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:09 am

I gave a good home to another orphan Saturday when I bought the Super A I've had my eye on for two months. I completed the set I was after when I parked it in the same barn with the other Supers (C, H, and M). Concerning the decals - looking at Steiner's catalog, two sets are listed - one for a Super A and one for a Super A Culti Vision. The ones on the tractor now simply say Super A. I thought all offset Farmalls were considered Culti Vision. Which set is correct?

The details - the little Super A is a 53 model just like its big brothers, the Supers C. H, and M and its little brother Cub. I bought it with (I think) a Woods L59 mower from the original owner's son. It is in fairly decent shape with a little wisp of smoke and some blowby in a hard pull, but probably runs well enough for my purposes for now. I don't know yet whether I will keep the mower or sell it - I doubt I would use it much at all, but I don't have to decide right now.

Festus

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:46 am

Festus,
I believe that the Cultivision A stickers were for an early, original A, not for the Super A. All of the Super A's that I have seen have the Super A decal and say nothing else.

Bill

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:03 am

Bill,
Same with me that's why I was surprised to see a set for a Super A cultivision and it is priced $12 higher. I think I will send them an e-mail or call them later today.

Festus

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:58 am

According to Guy Fay's Letter Series book, the white background decal (no Culti-Vision) started 8/16/51. I was pretty skeptical of that decal ever being used. In our area, I guess everyone already had a Super A by 1951, because the only tractors I ever saw the white background decals were repaints. The last I knew, I don't think Guy had found any evidence of a Super AV decal with a white background. The International Super A, prior to the white background, was a version of the Super A Culti-Vision decal without the word Culti-Vision.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:51 am

What Jim said. The Cultivision SUPER A decal is AKA the "Ribbon" Super A decal. It has a red background instead of the white background that the later Super A (looks like a Super C, Super H, or Super M decal) has.

How late a '53 is it? I do know of a 53 Super A that appears to never have been painted and it has the later decal on it. It seems like many of the Super A's around here are pre-1951 or have been repainted so many times you can't tell what used to be there.

Here's a pic of a Cultivision Super A decal on my tractor. It isn't real clear but "CULTI-VISION" is along the bottom radius of the circle, with "SUPER" across the A in a ribbon.

Al

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:14 am

According to Guy Fay's Letter Series book, the white background decal (no Culti-Vision) started 8/16/51. I was pretty skeptical of that decal ever being used.

My Super A, a late 1951, has been in the family since the early 1950's. When I restored it, it had the SUPER A without cultivision decals. I stripped it to the bare metal and there was no evidence of there ever being any other decals on it.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 am

Daniel H. wrote:
According to Guy Fay's Letter Series book, the white background decal (no Culti-Vision) started 8/16/51. I was pretty skeptical of that decal ever being used.

My Super A, a late 1951, has been in the family since the early 1950's. When I restored it, it had the SUPER A without cultivision decals. I stripped it to the bare metal and there was no evidence of there ever being any other decals on it.

I expect that is right. 1951 was the "official" year it changed, to match the Super C (and by default the later Super's) I don't remember if Guy Fay had found an official date in his Originality Guide or not. I expect the old ones were used as long as the supply lasted--probably longer than in previous years---wasn't it '51 or '52 that they had a big strike and way, way lower production than previous years?

It's a shame the other tractors didn't get the same style decal as the early Super A. To me it's a more attractive decal. :D

Al

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Well just to add my two cents worth i think the actual culti vision was a hi crop a friend of mine has one and it has the culti vision on the A decal and it has 36 or 34 rear tires and the long spindles in front i'm not sure what size the front tires are but it is quite a bit higher than a regular A.
Jim.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:10 pm

I believe the Cultivision first showed up on the A's, Bs and AV's around 1940-41. The earliest ones (39-?) didn't have it, just A, AV or B in a circle.

Al