Ernie, My new A

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:45 pm

I just picked up a '40 A. I got it running, after a lot of turning, by HAND. I did run into it start turning off. But, Its nice. Did the A's come with a wheel weight on the right side? It's on the inside. Let me know.

Thanks Marc

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:07 pm

The "A" had a cast iron right wheel to offset the weight of the engine on the left. I think this was added after early production, so a '40 might have a steel wheel with a weight bolted to the inside or outside.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks Dan. I only noticed it when I got it up on the trailer. Ernie does have the outside wheel weights as well. Now how does the pto work. I got it running, well today I have to pull out some toasted acorns... but the pto has a big wheel beside it that turns with the drive.

Andrew Z

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:56 am

The lever on the left hand side of the seat is the one that turns the PTO on. Both the belt pully (the big wheel) it was used to drive a cord wood saw... etc ... and the PTO will spin thats how they are set up. Just to note to that your A more the likley has the smaller pto size youll need to pic up a adapter to make it up to the standard size, you should be alble to get them anywhere parts are sold.

Andrew