1944 farmall A seat

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:17 am

Was the original seat for the early A's upholstered or just a plain steel pan?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:54 am

I am sure someone official will come along and give you a definate answer, but I believe they were covered with gray/silver canvas.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:00 am

Pad was an option, but you hardly ever see one that didn't originally have it. If you see one without, it is usually a very early tractor.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:02 am

The silver canvas seems to be the most popular, but some of the Hs came with a black canvas.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 am

The A was probably like the Cub... it was optional for the pan to have any covering at all. Most, but not all now have some remnant of fabric under the lip. Occasionally you'll see a good original seat like Scruffy's I found in a swap meet.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Thank you, the reason I asked is because my A does not have the original seat and I do want to install one, all the original used seat pans I see out there in the market do not have upholstery. I am debating whether to purchase an original pan and put a cover on it or replace with a reproduction seat.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:46 pm

If it is a working tractor, I think a cove would be fine, if it gets soiled or damaged it is easy to replace. For an occasional use tractor, I think the crimped in seat upholstery looks much better.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:41 pm

The uphoulstry was black at that time. IT seems like everyone remembers the silver more, but it didn't come until later--'49 or '50 maybe??? If you look at the color pic from the archives of all the tractors in front of the Louisville plant (somebody posted it not long ago) they all have black seats. THat was in 1948.

Al