Super A

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:00 pm

A friend of mine has a elderly uncle with some tractors sitting in a barn. I was told one was a cub, they will not be accessable for another month or so due to snow and mud. It turns out the cub is a Super A with cultivators and a sickle bar mower. The tractor has not run in 15 plus years don't know the year yet. I was told to make a offer any ideas, I would take it as it sits.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 pm

any tractor that does not start when the rod is pulled is only an $800 tractor. I just redone a 100 which is basically the same watch how quick you can spend a $1000 just to make it run.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Joe, that is a wet sleeve engine, so even if the pistons are rusted in beyond salvage, the repair is not too bad, but can be pricey.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:52 pm

If you get it, I am getting ready to take 2 so so tractors and make one nice one, so I will have plenty of extra parts floating around shortly.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:52 pm

A Super A is worth about the same as a Cub.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Jim Becker wrote:A Super A is worth about the same as a Cub.

But twice the tractor, you can do a lot of work with a super A
$1,000.00, Joe on the high side and $600.00 on the low
If it was running when parked it will run again with only a small amount of $
David

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm

If it has been parked in a barn out of the weather all that time, i bet you can air the tires up put fresh gas a new battery in it, and pull it. Chances are it will start. I had an A that was the same way. Pulled it 10 ft and it fired right up. I would suggest pulling it a little ways with the switche turned to off in-order for the oil pressure to build up though!!

I would love to have a super A. Preferrably not running!!

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 am

hopefully it wasnt parked with plain water in the radiator. might want to take a close look behind the carb and see if it has a crack in the block.

price wise cubs bring about as much as a super a , but as far as worth ,i think the super a has more worth.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:22 am

I owuld suggest not doing anything more than making sure the engine is free till you get it home. running tractors are a lot higher priced than non-running ones. :lol:

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:49 am

I bought a running one for $500. spent about $2000 getting it back to usable.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 pm

I like to find them in a barn. They are usually in a lot better shape then a hedge row tractor.