This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A Hydraulics

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
henrybelton
10+ Years
10+ Years

Super A Hydraulics

Postby henrybelton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Hello

I'm new to this so please excuse my frequent ignorance. I just got a Farmall Super A and it's a great tractor. I got it mostly because of the front plow blade for snow plowing. After starting, the first lift is strong but then the lifting ability dramatically decreases. Then after sitting and restarting the same thing happens. PTO seems fine, I see no leaks in the line or at the pump or reservoir. Unfortunately there is no gauge to see the pressure.

Any thoughts?

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A Hydraulics

Postby DanR » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:43 am

Sounds like a leaking valve. Probably time for an overhaul. The gauge is for temperature not pressure. It's not hard to do and you don't have to worry about taking off the "dreaded hood". IH's best improvement.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:14 am

The 'leaking valve' that Dan mentioned would be in the touch control unit under the gas tank. Are the front and back lifts doing the same thing?? Sound to me like a rebuild of the T/C unit. Parts can be found from Case IH. Where are you located, if you update your profile, may be someone close to you could come over to help out.
Hope this helps

henrybelton
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby henrybelton » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks.

Mine may be different than what you describe. The pump runs off the PTO just below the seat; both the pump and reservoir are right under the seat. I don't see any leaks.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Are you sure you have a "Super A" and not an "A", sometimes called a straight "A". Most, but not all, Super A tractors had touch-control hydraulics from the factory. The A did not have factory hydraulics. In either case what you have is an add-on hydraulic system. One easy to spot difference is the instrument panel; on an "A" it is an oval box on the steering post.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."