New (to me) '52 super A

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:24 pm

So I purchased my first Super A a few weeks ago. It's a 1952 model that the PO stated was rebuilt at some point, but he didn't really seem to know. It's a good runner that needs some TLC to be a great runner.

I've run into the usual problems, such as a completely gummed up fuel tank and burnt starter switch. I'm wanting to 'work' it to get some good seat time, but the drive belt on the C-3 mower that was mounted on it was giving me fits. After downloading and printing the C-3 mower manual, i realized why. The rear mounting bracket looks like it a hacked up version from a lowboy instead of for the SA, which looks like someone made work, but for the life of me I can't get the belt to route properly. When I twist it so that the spindles spin the correct direction, the belt is twisted twice over, and of course that can't be right. The belt is 'routed' as correctly as it can be with the hacked up bracket, but it's double twisted along it's axis. So, anyway, I'll be posting for a SA version of the C-3 rear bracket on the wanted list.

I also got the usual implements (front and rear toolbars, non-swinging drawbar, rotary hillers), and also some sort of mid-mount sickle mower that seems to be missing the main driveshaft and pittman arm. Also, at some point the single lift arm on the right side of the TC unit was loaded heavily enough to bend the cast lift arm, and was like that for so long that it wore a notch in the steering shaft. Not pretty, but it doesn't hurt it for now.

Also, it hasn't been converted to 12V, but the battery has been hooked up as negative ground. Hopefully over the holiday i'll install some decent battery cables and switch it back to positive ground and see if she'll charge. I know the generator is putting out voltage because I can pull the negative cable off the battery and it continues to run. I like the generator setup and don't really care to convert to an alternator unless there's some compelling reason.

I'll see if I can snap some photos for everyone, I know I like seeing other people's tractors. I've also got a '54 SA that was my grandfathers, but it won't be coming home until I finish the barn.

--Mike J.
Greenville, SC

Re: New (to me) '52 super A

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Welcome to the Forum Mike!!
Pictures would be great. I have 2 1952 SA's, but mine are junkers right now! :(
Good Luck.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:22 pm

If it has been converted to 12 volts it may have an alternator which is negative ground. If you reverse it you may burn up the alt.
I have the lift arm you need if you are interested in one.
David

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:02 pm

It's still got it's generator. I replaced the battery cables and ammeter today, and it's charging at 10 amps and not cutting out like it was with it hooked up as negative ground. I do need to swap the cables on the ammeter, as it's showing discharge when it's really charging.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:15 am

Good Luck on your '52 Super A - I love the Cubs (I have one) but my '52 Super A is my favorite - a great tractor.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 pm

A's are cool and good luck on it.
Kyle

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 am

I'd love to have a Super A some day.

Red56

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:42 pm

We have some great suppliers of parts for our Cubs. Where is the best place to get parts for our SA's??

Thanks.