cracked A block?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

hey fella's ,i just aquired my first A from a fella who "told me" that the ol grl sat in a barn for the last 15+ yrs and the motor was dry seized.....WELL #2 and 3 cyl. were full of water from what year i have no idea,but the real kicker is the block is cracked between 2&3 cyl around the head bolts and across the water jacket area.Now do u think i will be able to just resleeve it and hope for the best,weld it and sleeve it , OR am i destine to part the ol pile out?any help would be great including locating a used motor or bare block.thnx guys feelin kinda disappointed :(

Greg in CANADA

Re: cracked A block?

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:36 am

Around here getting a block welded is around $500.00!---look for a good used one!--may find one for a hundred bucks or so! thanks; sonny

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am

I have seen a lot of B and A blocks running cracked, with no welding. Since it is wet sleeves, the main worry is strength, not sealing.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm

well had a machinist take a look at he cracks ....weld ,rebore,plane the block ,resleeve and do a final hone + he wont do just the cyl.s he said to it all or nuthin .well fellas if u need any A parts let me know cause she 's goin to the dismantler on the weekend .tins good ,tanks clean .any how i guess my first A is goin to be a parts tractor .too bad i had ideas for the ol iron .i ll post pic of parts in the forsale on the forum.

Greg in CANADA

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Can you post a pic of the cracked area? I welded a jeep 134 f head between the two center cylinders. It cracked across the head bold threads. I drilled a small hole at the end of each crack and then I ground it out with a cutting disc on my 4 " grinder into the water jacket and welded it up solid using Certainum cast iron arc rod. Then i decked the block in a milling machine and drilled and rethreaded the hole. Luckily the crack didn't make it to the cylinders.
I found out later they used the jeep as a yard vechicle for plowing snow and ran it over heated a lot.