A and Super cracks

Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

A and Super cracks

Postby Dan W. » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 am

I know that the Farmall Cubs are somewhat prone to cracking by the "ears" on the front of the engine. It appears that the Farmall A and Super A have somewhat similar ears. Are the A's and Super A's also prone to cracking there? Are they prone to cracking any place else?Thanks for your responses. Dan W.
Dan W.
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: A and Super cracks

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 pm

A's were prone to large cracks in the water jacket. If I recall correctly it was the left side - some of them running nearly the full length of the block. I've seen lots of them patched over and still in use. The cracks did not present a structural weakness problem. Just a leak problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dan W. » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for the reply Bigdog. How were the patches made on the cracks you described?
Dan W.
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:28 pm

I have seen them welded, puttied, taped - you name it. But the best repair (I think) was to groove the crack out and fill with JB Weld. As I said, the crack was not structural and most were a result of freezing. They run for years with nothing else done to them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award

Postby artc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:45 pm

A's can crack vertically on the steering housing, which is nearly the same place as on a cub. i have a very nice original 41 A with this crack welded...that i did not see untill after powerwashing the engine. i don't mind it... another battle scar.

i have seen a couple others with this problem. i dont think it's as prevelent as a cub ear.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org
artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: 1950 cubs (3), 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial.1948 super AI (trailer queen), 1958 450.

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:22 am

Bigdog wrote:I have seen them welded, puttied, taped - you name it. But the best repair (I think) was to groove the crack out and fill with JB Weld. As I said, the crack was not structural and most were a result of freezing. They run for years with nothing else done to them.

I'm hoping that will work for my Cub block! (JB setting up as I type) If it doesn't, the forum will definitely hear a great WHINE from Skiatook, OK!! :lol:
Bill E Bob
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Farmall A, Super A, AV