This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods L59 on Super A.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61272
Tractors Owned: Tractors

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Woods L59 on Super A.

Postby josys36 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:47 pm

OK this one has got me. The super A I purchased as a Woods L59 mower meaning it has left hand discharge. This to me seems funny since the left hand side is where the engine is. It is hard to see the discharge. My thought was to convert the mower to right hand discharge. Now I know that the spindle shafts and blades would have to be replaced, but how do you get the belt to rotate in the correct direction? I have been reviewing posts and diagrams all day, but can't seem to find a solid answer. I thought it would be as simple as putting the belt on backwards, but looking at the pictures it would seem that that would do nothing.

So, is there a way to do this or should I just get used to a left hand discharge mower? YUCK!

Jason
Jason

"Beauty through function and simplification."
"Raymond Lowey"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods L59 on Super A.

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:14 am

Get used to the left side discharge! The direction of the PTO rotation is the reason they made mowers with left side discharge. There's really no easy way to change it. It won't be so bad, once you get used to it.

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Postby RUSSALL » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:47 am

I don't know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. Why can't you change sides of the block out plate from left side to right side? My thought is that if the mower is discharging on the left, the grass that is cut by the right blade has to travel across the deck to exit the mower, so why not switch them . Therefore is this theory is true by removing the rear gaurds you would have a rear discharge mower. Just thinking outloud. :?:

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:11 am

Can't answer for sure but I had an old dynamark with a side discharge and converted it to a rear discharge and ended up with big clumps out the back instead of a good cut so I put it back as origional and worked fine, maybe something with the design of the deck????? Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:20 am

Discharge side is determined by the direction of rotation of the blades. Clockwise turning blades will discharge to the right and counter-clockwise turning blades will discharge to the left.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:22 am

RUSSALL wrote:I don't know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. Why can't you change sides of the block out plate from left side to right side? My thought is that if the mower is discharging on the left, the grass that is cut by the right blade has to travel across the deck to exit the mower, so why not switch them . Therefore is this theory is true by removing the rear gaurds you would have a rear discharge mower. Just thinking outloud. :?:

Russ

I thought the same thing. The only problem is that I will have to wait until at least April to try the theory out! :) The other thing I am going to try is no block out plates at all. That is how my Danco mower is and it works great. I thought it was going to be a problem until I started cutting grass with it. The grass cuts very even, and what is discharged on the left is cut up again on the second pass. So, I could be making a whole big deal from nothing. This is what happens when winter sets in and there is no grass to mow! When I had my L59 John Deere I could not wait for winter to come. Now, I can't wait for Seat Time. :)

Jason
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:24 am

grumpy wrote:Can't answer for sure but I had an old dynamark with a side discharge and converted it to a rear discharge and ended up with big clumps out the back instead of a good cut so I put it back as origional and worked fine, maybe something with the design of the deck????? Grump

I had heard that this can be a problem. It must have something to do with the deck being more flat then having individual vortex chambers. In my case there is no rear guard so I could not go this route even if I wanted to.

Jason
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Well I had a conversation with an Uncle today about this subject. He said that if I remove both the blocks and the left hand chute that it should work much better. I said that that is how my Cub is already and he was not surprised. So, I am going to try that once the spring thaw has finally come. I am a bit annoyed I bought a new toy that I have to wait a few months to use! :)

Jason
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:52 am

josys36 wrote:OK this one has got me. The super A I purchased as a Woods L59 mower meaning it has left hand discharge. This to me seems funny since the left hand side is where the engine is. It is hard to see the discharge. My thought was to convert the mower to right hand discharge. Now I know that the spindle shafts and blades would have to be replaced, but how do you get the belt to rotate in the correct direction? I have been reviewing posts and diagrams all day, but can't seem to find a solid answer. I thought it would be as simple as putting the belt on backwards, but looking at the pictures it would seem that that would do nothing.

So, is there a way to do this or should I just get used to a left hand discharge mower? YUCK!

Jason

You say you can't see the discharge on the left side so you want to convert to right discharge. OK now the left side will be the side you guage from, how will you be able to see it? I've had a couple Simplicity mowers and now an IH 244 with left discharge, no big deal just mow the opposite direction. Only becomes a problem when mowing with another person driving a right discharge.

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:57 pm

LiL' Red wrote:
josys36 wrote:OK this one has got me. The super A I purchased as a Woods L59 mower meaning it has left hand discharge. This to me seems funny since the left hand side is where the engine is. It is hard to see the discharge. My thought was to convert the mower to right hand discharge. Now I know that the spindle shafts and blades would have to be replaced, but how do you get the belt to rotate in the correct direction? I have been reviewing posts and diagrams all day, but can't seem to find a solid answer. I thought it would be as simple as putting the belt on backwards, but looking at the pictures it would seem that that would do nothing.

Jason

You say you can't see the discharge on the left side so you want to convert to right discharge. OK now the left side will be the side you guage from, how will you be able to see it? I've had a couple Simplicity mowers and now an IH 244 with left discharge, no big deal just mow the opposite direction. Only becomes a problem when mowing with another person driving a right discharge.

I don't think I fully understand your second sentence, but let me explain why I was having a concern. For some reason, don't know why, I have always had a problem seeing where I have mowed and where I have not mowed. This is really true if the grass was shorter to begin with. So for 20 years I have always let the grass grow a bit taller, and then I can very clearly see where I have mowed and where I have not. Then I keep the right wheel right up against the grass I have not mowed. This has worked well when I am working with the field of green! See I mowed hay for years on the right hand side, I mowed the lawn for years on the right hand side, so this new way is kinda like lighting your pipe upside down. It just seems so foreign. However in the spring I will see how things work.

Jason
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:38 pm

josys36 wrote:
LiL' Red wrote:

Jason

I don't think I fully understand your second sentence, but let me explain why I was having a concern. For some reason, don't know why, I have always had a problem seeing where I have mowed and where I have not mowed. This is really true if the grass was shorter to begin with. So for 20 years I have always let the grass grow a bit taller, and then I can very clearly see where I have mowed and where I have not. Then I keep the right wheel right up against the grass I have not mowed. This has worked well when I am working with the field of green! See I mowed hay for years on the right hand side, I mowed the lawn for years on the right hand side, so this new way is kinda like lighting your pipe upside down. It just seems so foreign. However in the spring I will see how things work.

Jason

My point was that if you convert to right discharge how well will you be able to see when mowing around objects?

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:43 pm

My point was that if you convert to right discharge how well will you be able to see when mowing around objects?

I don't see what you mean. Right now my cub is right hand discharge and I see around objects ( aint that many of them ) just fine. I would assume it would be the same for the Super A.

Jason
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:00 pm

josys36 wrote:

I don't see what you mean. Right now my cub is right hand discharge and I see around objects ( aint that many of them ) just fine. I would assume it would be the same for the Super A.

Jason

Your original complaint was that you could not see the discharge on your left discharge mower. How will that side become more visible by converting to right discharge?

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm

Your original complaint was that you could not see the discharge on your left discharge mower. How will that side become more visible by converting to right discharge?

Yep I see where you are coming from now. That is my fault since what I wanted to say I miscommunicated. What I am used to doing is mowing around the yard counter clockwise. Since my cub is right hand discharge it works fine. I see the discharge and just keep making counter clockwise circles until I have the yards complete. I follow the same pattern in the back yard as the front yard. However, if I did that same pattern with this new mower I would be throwing grass back onto the uncut grass and would be trying to cut more and more grass as I went around. I would have to change to a clockwise direction for that not to happen. That is where the site issue comes in. Since the engine is in the way I would have a harder time seeing where the front wheel is on the row. That is why I prefer to mow counter clockwise as I can very clearly see the right wheel.

Now like my uncle said with both blockers off it should throw enough grass from both sides so I can keep mowing in my counter clockwise directions. Does this make sense?

Just had to edit and say I am proud to have reached post 50!

Jason
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:24 pm

josys36 wrote:Just had to edit and say I am proud to have reached post 50!

Got your first star!! 8) 8)
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”