SA starters

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 am

I dont know alot about this sooo, I have few questions, does all SA starters have the starter switch mounted on top [mine does] if so did they make them that has 4 fields in them, [ mine only has 2 ], why I"m asking is that mine dont crank as good as I would like,[ new bat, and cables good ground] I have another starter [ not sure whats it fits maybe SC ] nothing been done to it but it cranks good and it has the 4 fields,I was told buy the starter shop that the 4 fields gave it more torque then the 2 fields does,[ like the one on the SA that only has 2 ], that makes sence to me, but the one with 4 fields when you bolt it on turns the starter switch to the side, the SA starter with the 2 fields was rebuilt with new fields did help but still not real good, so I guess what I am trying to find out is there a SA starter with the 4 fields that the switch will be on top when bolted on or did all of the SA just have 2 ?[ sorry for the long post ] :?

Re: SA starters

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:57 am

Yes, all switches on top. No, as far as I know all Super A (and Super C) starters have 2 field coils. I think 4 coils were only used on big tractors, like the MD and 9-series. I suspect the 4-field starter is masking some other problem. How is your battery ground? The original Super A ground was as bad as the Cub's.

Re: SA starters

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Ya I'm not sure whats the other starter is from, it bolts on it just turns the switch to the side, the ground is good.