Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:35 am

Hello All,

I have a quick question on a problem I am having with my Super A's charging system. When you first start the tractor up the charging system is working fine. The Amp meter shows that the system is charging. Then over time the needle will work it's way down to the zero mark. Now this I thought was OK, however as more time goes on it will creep into the discharge section. Now I can charge the battery and start just fine. However after mowing for a while, I cannot start with the electric start. Hand cranking works fine.

So I have done some reading here and have found out how to test the voltage coming from the generator. And, I have a pretty new voltage regulator, so do we think the generator is weak or the battery?

As always the help and suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 am

Jason - with the tractor running at at least half throttle or higher measure the voltage across the battery posts. You should read 7 volts or higher. If not, the system is not charging. Another thing to do is to disconnect the battery (just removing the ground cable will do it), measure the battery voltage and then let it set overnight and measure again to see if the battery is holding a charge. You may have to do this over several days if possible to see if the battery is depleting it's charge rapidly.

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 am

Bigdog wrote:Jason - with the tractor running at at least half throttle or higher measure the voltage across the battery posts. You should read 7 volts or higher. If not, the system is not charging. Another thing to do is to disconnect the battery (just removing the ground cable will do it), measure the battery voltage and then let it set overnight and measure again to see if the battery is holding a charge. You may have to do this over several days if possible to see if the battery is depleting it's charge rapidly.


OK I will do this when I get home. I have the battery disconnected from the ground right now I can start from there.

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 am

Well I tested the battery when I got home and it showed 6.? volts. I can't remember the exact amount, but it was over 6. When I started the tractor and cranked it up, the amp meter did not move and the battery then showed 5.? volts. So right then and there no charge. With the list of wiring diagrams I pulled down a troubleshooting flow chart. What I think the problem might be is the ground for the voltage regulator. I am going to try the troubleshooting steps in a day or two. I know the wiring is good as I replaced all that myself. Every single wire is new and I checked all the connections again. I know the amp meter is working as it shows discharge when you pull out the switch or turn the lights on.

What is really funny is that there are periods of time when I can get it to charge, that is why I think the voltage regulator base is not grounded properly.

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:16 am

Jason - I think you are on the right track. It sounds like a regulator issue. Hopefully a poor or intermittent ground will be the problem.

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:17 am

Well I think I have this fixed. I took off the voltage regulator and cleaned the connections for the ground. It was very corroded where the regulator attached to the tractor. Things seem to be charging now, and after I shutdown the tractor and restarted, it seems to be charging again. So I will try again tonight when I get home, but I think things are getting back to normal.

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:23 am

Good news! If you get a chance, measure the voltage as I mentioned earlier. This will confirm that the generator is charging. Measure again after operating for a while but it sounds like you have found and fixed your problem.

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:38 am

Bigdog wrote:Good news! If you get a chance, measure the voltage as I mentioned earlier. This will confirm that the generator is charging. Measure again after operating for a while but it sounds like you have found and fixed your problem.


Yes good point! I will do that tonight when I get home. I didn't check yesterday since we had rain, and I wanted to get the tractor back in the shop. While I was able to be in the lawn the amp meter showed a pretty good charge so I think we are OK. However, checking is very easy.

I worked yesterday to get new blades on the mower, and then had it start raining again and could not use em. I have no idea why it has to rain on the weekends and be sunny during the week!

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:51 am

josys36 wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Good news! If you get a chance, measure the voltage as I mentioned earlier. This will confirm that the generator is charging. Measure again after operating for a while but it sounds like you have found and fixed your problem.


Yes good point! I will do that tonight when I get home. I didn't check yesterday since we had rain, and I wanted to get the tractor back in the shop. While I was able to be in the lawn the amp meter showed a pretty good charge so I think we are OK. However, checking is very easy.

I worked yesterday to get new blades on the mower, and then had it start raining again and could not use em. I have no idea why it has to rain on the weekends and be sunny during the week!


It is mother nature's way of thumbing her nose at the working man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Super A 6 Volt charging question.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:10 am

I checked the voltage and we are good. And, it has been charging the last few nights I have been out cutting the jungle er.... lawn. Sure is nice to not to have to hand crank!

Jason