This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SA compression test

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

SA compression test

Postby Gerry Powell » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

I did another compression test today and now I'm getting 80-78-85-80 after installing a new head gasket and cleaning the valves. The I&T manual says the compression ratio is 6:1, do you multiply this by 14.7psi (atmospheric pressure) to come up with new compression of 88psi? Another post at a car site has a table that calculates PSI by PSI=(compression ratio-1) X 14.7. Using this method, 6:1 would give you 73.5 psi.
Also, in the I&T manual below the line for compression (standard) is 3 more lines of compression specs, what are these?
Gerry

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: SA compression test

Postby Eugene » Sun May 02, 2010 8:45 pm

The lines following standard compression ratio, 6:1, are for other pistons that were originally available for the tractor. The next lower line in my I&T for the SA is a 5:1 compression ratio followed by two blank lines.

Conduct the compression test dry, then wet (oil added to piston).

Your current figures are a bit on the low side. The C-60, Cub engine has a standard compression ratio of 6.5:1. You would normally see compression reading of 120 psi or a bit better on a freshly rebuilt engine after a couple hours of run time (break in).

Kind of an aside. I have a WC Allis Chalmers with low compression pistons, either 4.2:1 or 4.5:1 compression ratio. This engine has compression readings, hand cranking, very close to your SA readings. The WC parts books lists 9 different compression ratio/piston sets that were available from the factory.

Edit: Wikipedia. Generally, cylinder pressure for common automotive designs should at least equal 10 bar, or, roughly estimated in pounds per square inch (psi) as between 15 and 20 times the compression ratio.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”