I now own a Super A-1!

Sun May 30, 2010 9:01 am

It was late getting in last night, so I will post a picture later. I went to Bailey, NC yesterday evening and looked at a Super A-1. The tractor is not perfect, but casting codes, etc. look to be right for a late '54. It's in the neighborhood of 600 tractors from the very last.

It is a hard-used farm tractor. I think that it has caught some borderline abuse in the past. It had a woods belly mower under it most recently. Engine has a slight tick, but starts well. Oil pressure is low, but there. I have a feeling that tick is rod/main bearing related. In other words, woretheheckout! Transmission is noisy, too. I think it'll be a fun, long-term project.

This is the fourth Super A-1 I have seen with my own eyes. I know of two within thirty minutes' drive of me right now. I think one of them is considered to "just be another Super A." I don't know, but I have a theory that when the Super A-1's came out, most of them ended up in eastern NC when they were new.

FYI, the Super A-1 was the last generation Super A. IH called them a "Code 2 Super A." It was sort of a cross between a Super A and the upcoming Farmall 100. It has a C-123 engine instead of a 113, equipped with a water pump, and a taller radiator. This results in slightly different sheet metal (especially the grille) from the Super A, the gas tank sits just a bit higher off the Touch Control unit than on a Super A. I want to find out "officially" why IH made these. Was it to use up extra parts, test a "new" engine, fill in until the 100 was officially ready, or what??

Of course, the best part of the afternoon/evening was sharing a celebratory supper @ Outback in Goldsboro with my wife on our way home from the "hunt."
Al

Re: I now own a Super A-1!

Sun May 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Nice find Al. That is one tractor I would be forced to consider digging deep for if I came upon one. Best of luck with the project.

Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Does the A-1 have A-1 stamped on the serial number plate and do you know where the serial numbers started for the A-1.

Jim

Sun May 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Jim Reid wrote:Does the A-1 have A-1 stamped on the serial number plate and do you know where the serial numbers started for the A-1.

Jim

This may be helpful, Jim

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/3/6/6369-farmall-super-a-1.html

Sun May 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Yes. Super A-1s started with 356001. This one is 357xxx. My tag has been painted over, the numbers were deep enough they show up good but can't make out much of the FAA-1. (Regular Super A was FAA) Looks like all the casting codes are Z-codes, (my worst fear--that we'd get there to look at it, and it would have a bunch of stuff broke and replaced with the wrong codes) and the engine number is correct. First engine number for the Super A-1's was FCM 206628, mine is higher, didn't write it down but like 208xxx.

In case the font is not clear, this is a Super A-1 (A-One) not an A-I. ("A-eye")

Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 am

A right Spiffy lookin' machine--well worth the restoration time and $$$. If you can spare the time, occasional updates on progress would be most appreciated :D

Mon May 31, 2010 6:48 am

THANKS Bob and A for the info.

Jim

Mon May 31, 2010 7:37 am

Bill E Bob wrote:A right Spiffy lookin' machine--well worth the restoration time and $$$. If you can spare the time, occasional updates on progress would be most appreciated :D

In some ways, it looks better than it probably actually is, mechanically. I already have a lot of projects in the hopper, so it will probably be a good while before I start on it for sure. I am actually going to let it be a ginuea pig tomorrow---we have 4 days of school before exams start and we are basically done with the required material so I am going to let one of my classes learn how to perform a compression test on it, and see if they can isolate the cause of the miss it has. This is the same class that is working on the '39 A I drug home in January. Since it was stuck, they didn't get much chance to do any diagnostics before they started taking stuff apart. Now with this, they can. I might even see if I can get the health occ. teacher to let me borrow a stethoscope to see if we can pinpoint that "tick." :big smile: Although, I probably won't tell her what we're doing with it! :crazyline:

First order of business is a decent battery cable from the battery to the starter. Someone has "cheated" and put an 8 volt battery on it, and used a cable that I swear makes you think of #12 copper wire--it's small. It was all the previous owner could do to get it to make connection and turn the starter Saturday. In the meantime, I think I will try to accumulate some parts, so when the time comes we'll be ready.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 pm

I still have your 2 point carry all here. :D

Mon May 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks, Brandon.....I keep hoping for a nice Cub Express but so far no luck.....

Al

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 am

Good looking ride

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:22 pm

I showed the students how to do a compression test today. #1 was the lowest with 100 psi! The rest were around 120-125. I must say, I am a bit surprised.

Al

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 pm

nice find, Al! it would make a nice companion for my Super AI....

sounds like you won't need a sleeve and piston kit, just bottom end work.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:34 pm

artc wrote:nice find, Al! it would make a nice companion for my Super AI....

sounds like you won't need a sleeve and piston kit, just bottom end work.

I don't know, but I must say the compression readings have me hopeful. However, the #4 plug was oily. I wonder if maybe somebody put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder to raise readings. Still, I would think a sick top end wouldn't give readings that high even with a shot of oil. And also that could be the "missing" cylinder. It does not have copper plug wires on it and the cap looks pretty nasty. I think I will do a standard tuneup on it, putter around a bit, and then test again. With the bottom end ticking, I am sorta scared to putter around much.

Al

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:28 am

let us know what you find. i love these mysteries.