Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954
Moderator: Team Cub
I have never dabbled into the tractors larger than a cub, till now.
Here is where I am confused. The serial # on the tractor is 15**, which according to the tables would make it a 1939 A. The serial #'s for the SA start at 250000.
It is a dual fuel tractor, has the hydraulics, has a 3 pt hitch, and had shutters. It has one bad rear tire, but the rims and the fronts are good. It does have the common freeze crack behind the carb that has been repaired.
I have not gotten casting #'s yet, but will tomorrow.
Any ides folks?
Last edited by Former Member on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the A's I almost positive they started at #501. If it has the duel fuel that is something that you don't find every day. That will increase the value of the tractor
what did jan say i imagine she wasn`t happy. :haha
Josh Blair in Mt.Pleasant TN
It sure looks like a SA, A's didn't have hydraulics and 3pt could be added fairly easily with the rear lift already in place. I think Jim is right that you might be looking at the RPMs instead of the serial#.The SA is a great little tractor, enjoy it. Chuck
Actually Josh, I had sold the lowboy that I got during the cubfest, and was looking at a choice of 4 different cubs or the SA to purchase. I discussed it with Jan and we decided together to get the SA.
She also supports me in any decision I make about the tractors. They are my hobby and are kept separate from any other family obligations. So I can do what I want, when I want when it comes to tractors. If I have the cash, I can do as I like, permission not needed, but approval always appreciated.
Ponymaster looked at all my pics last night, and believes it to be an early SA. He had one just like it. According to him it has the smaller 113 motor, not the 123, and there are some other details I can not remember.
Not quite dark yet, so I am headed out for #s
I did get the block patched, it no longer leaks. I cleaned and adjusted the carb and cleaned out the carbon from the manifold. Reinstalled everythin, hooked up a battery, cleaned and adjusted the points and fired her up.
Runs like a top, no timing adjustments needed. Great oil pressure. All I had on hand for gas was some I had mixed up for 2 cycle weedeaters, so she is blowing white smoke, but has great compression. Clutch is good, shifts great.
I was able to drive it off the trailer and around the barnyard. The right rear tire is shot, and I was and will try to get the bead broke by driving it. The radiator has a couple places on the upper and the lower tank that seep, but the core is great.
I need to find a set of shutters and get the lower grille fixed, clean her up real good, then start looking for a new home for her. Before I become attached.
All I had on hand for gas was some I had mixed up for 2 cycle weedeaters, so she is blowing white smoke, but has great compression
White smoke = moisutre Fuel would be a dark color
I'm pretty sure Super A's had a larger or taller radiator. I think that is why a regular A grill won't fit on a super A.
OK, I was WRONG
The RPM's are 1540, I will have to do a rub or a little "doctoring " to the tag to get the actual serial # off of it.
I did get some casting codes, one of them for sure was 8-10-T also found other T codes.
Super A serial numbers started with 250001. The radiator was the same as the later A, from serial 41330 when they changed hood fasteners. The grille was the same from 41330 as well, except for the minor difference of the front emblem. A taller radiator and grill were used on the Super A1.
The late 1950 date codes are reasonable for a tractor with battery ignition.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests