This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fence Row AI - Questions?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Fence Row AI - Questions?

Postby gitractorman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 am

I know where there has been sitting an International AI tractor. It's sitting in a fence row behind a local bar, and has been for years. The paint (whats left of it) is yellow, and it definitely has the square tube front axle rather than the round tube, so I'm assuming that it is a factory original AI. The tractor looks complete, and is poka dotted with paint and rust.

I think it would be fun to do a total tear down and re-assembly of a tractor (I'm not sure why, I must be sick), but I've never attempted one in such condition, having sat outside for years without use.

SO, my first question, what should I offer if I try to go get it. I'm guessing it is a complete overhaul, total tear down and re-build of everything.

Should I even attempt one in such a condition? I may get into it and it could be a total loss, however, with the A engine having sleeves in the cylinders, I would think that the engine could be resleeved and the crank turned, and re-built without any trouble. Obviously I'm assuming that the block is not cracked or broken. OK, maybe I need to go take a really good look at this thing before even going after it.

I was thinking of offering $400, thinking that even if it turns out to be a parts tractor, I could recover my money if it cannot be rebuilt.

I just don't know. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Fence Row AI - Questions?

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 am

Farm Equipment Guide says the "A" weighs just over 1 ton. So, maybe $150- to $200- at the scrap yard.

Just my opinion - If the IA could not be used as a parts tractor for another IH product I owned - I would pass.

For a project tractor - much cheaper to buy one in running condition - you can kick the tires and take it for a test drive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

I agree with Eugene. Offer scrap value and see what happens.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 am

Eugene wrote:Farm Equipment Guide says the "A" weighs just over 1 ton. So, maybe $150- to $200- at the scrap yard.

Just my opinion - If the IA could not be used as a parts tractor for another IH product I owned - I would pass.

For a project tractor - much cheaper to buy one in running condition - you can kick the tires and take it for a test drive.

Yesterday, I got $290/ton for a bunch of scrap parts/pieces. I was pleasantly surprised. So much so that I may make another trip.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 am

If the exhaust is not covered, figure on needing a head., as well as pistons and sleeves for a minimum repair. I am assuming it is a super with hydraulics, since I don't think they made the standard A in an industrial version. As to economics of getting a usable tractor4 out of the deal, it is probably cheaper to buy a running one, as has already been mentioned. If you are just wanting to fix up and have an unusual tractor, then you have to balance bank account versus how bad you want to do it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 am

There was an International version of the A, so it could be either an A or Super A. If sitting out with exhaust open, it is likely to need a manifold too.

The most common freeze crack on the A and Super A engines is the water jacket area of the block. It will show up as a horizontal crack behind the carburetor. Extreme cases could have multiple cracks or a chunk broken out. Also check the front ears of the block for scructural cracks similar to those seen on Cub engines.

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:25 pm

It is all in how much you want to get involved in a rebuild. My dad is working on a 1950 Case VAI he found in a fence row. Bush hogged about 10 acres for it. He has gotten the motor free and is working on a repaint right now. It is going to need alot of parts but it is what he enjoys. He has rebuilt 3 H's and repainted 2 of them. Once in awhile he even lets me help him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
USAF 1976 - 1996

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

there were only 6 or 7 thousand each made of the AI and Super AI, so the parts that are special to the industrial model have some value. that includes the foot throttle linkage, gov control rod, square axle, cast spindles, lower bolster and support rod. the AV used some of those parts also

tractors that are left outside in this part of the country are more difficult to restore. cracked blocks, rusted up transmissions, deeply pitted and bent up sheet metal, frozen bolts, and rusted out gas tanks make the project that much harder and more costly than a barn kept tractor.

i'd entertain it in the $200-$300 region, more if the motor was free and theres green stuff in the radiator, and if it was too far gone, strip it, scrap it, and wait for another tractor to recieve the industrial parts.

a friend of mine has a Bates Steel Mule crawler he brought back from the dead. a rusted hulk that needed serious track frame repair, and had broken cylinder castings. sat outside all its life. but the transmission was near perfect, needing only a grease change, so you never know till you open them up.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Lots of good advise here. My rule is to never put more $ into a tractor than it's worth. I don't mind putting money into a tractor as long as I know I'll get it back out if need be. You never know what your financial condition will be down the road and if I need to liquidate, I want to be able to recoup my investment.

That being said, you also have to look at your abilities. If you can perform 90-95% of the work needed to "make it like new", you're way ahead of the game. I've seen guys buy a tractor at a reasonable price and pay someone to do most of the work restoring it, and end up with 3 times what the tractor is worth.

If the tractor is rare (i.e. has more value) or you have some sentimental attachment to it that opens up the window regarding the money you may want to spend doing a restoration. However, if you are just looking for a tractor to restore, buy the best example you can find and start with that, you'll save yourself a lot of money. Also, just because you see a tractor that would make a nice project but you really don't have a use for it or it's not something that you've always wanted, walk away from it and find something you really want and tackle that.

Above all have fun. If it ain't fun, it's just another job.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

ok i got what may be a stupid question i picked up a 42 farmall a parts tractor that had the square axle and the support rod but the serial number was definitely 42 farmall a no ai so what gives ?
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Dirtyred,
I believe that you could have a 42 AI. I am not certain, but I believe the Industrial version of the tractor was offered after 1940. The industrial version had the fixed front axle (square tube) and could have had the foot throttle.

Thanks to everyone's comments. I'm going to go try to get a better look next weekend.

Thanks,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Bill:

I am no expert.. surely don't have too many tractors etc., so not all that much experience in evaluating viability of a specific tractor project. But I do have some experience in life and in life almost cut short. I learned valuable lessons. One of those lessons I learned was that our time in uncertain and life can change without notice. Planning for something 20 years down the road is prudent, but if one has to put off living today to ensure life 20 years down the road.. it ain't worth it. So now if I want to do something and it is viable/affordable and it makes sense to me as well as it's potential to provide quality enjoyment time, then it is worth the purchase and whatever it takes over time to complete the project.

I guess what I am saying is if you think this fence row AI will give you months of enjoyment, relaxation and pleasure from little jobs done well, then go for it. Life is just too short.

Oh, offer scrap value and up as you see fit.. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”