This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Early A vs. Super A: A "Quandary"

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Early A vs. Super A: A "Quandary"

Postby Super A » Thu May 26, 2011 9:35 pm

So I just got this 1950 Super A white demo. And I also have a '39 Farmall A that I have been working on. The crankshaft, sleeves, and pistons have been installed, the rods just have to be bolted to the crankshaft. Main bearings have been torqued to spec.

I never had intentions of keeping this A once it was done. Figured I would sell it. Also figured since it was just a straight A, no hydraulics, no nothin, I probably wouldn't make back what I have spent on it. It is a very late '39, no hole in the bell housing for the starter, but the bad thing is it apparently got a "service engine" from IH at some point--block is a '42 by the casting code and there is no serial number. Either way, the engine was not "original."

So I have started thinking, the white demo is a "bucket list" tractor for me. And, I'm on a serious budget these days. So why couldn't I take the overhaul kit I have for the A, and use it for the Super A? Only sticking point is the crankshaft has a totally different part number. But what in the world would be different between the crankshafts between these two tractors? Regardless, I am thinking I can use everything in the overhaul kit--provided the crankshaft journals are turned to the same measurement as in the A. The kit came from the local parts store, it's a Tisco kit but according to their website it works for the A/B/C series tractors. Onlyn thing I would need is new o-rings for the sleeves, and transfer the pistons over to the Super A rods.

If I did this, I see myself parting the A. It has a nice .20" ground crank, overhauled cylinder head, and fairly nice sheet metal. The block has been through the machine shop--cleaned and fluxed--so it would be nice. The grille is not correct for the early dzus fasteners, so I would probably keep that for my Super A. I have always heard that "the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole," and I feel like early A parts would be worth a little more, but who knows?

Am I missing something? Doing a overhaul kit swap seems way too simple. I hope I'm not talking out of turn.....I am hoping maybe to get her running this weekend, and maybe the engine will be in real good shape.

thanks,
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Re: Early A vs. Super A: A "Quandary"

Postby artc » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:57 pm

i dont know of any difference. they both use the 113 engine. block is different due to the hydraulics, but i am unaware of anything else. the cranks are a question mark. i would have thought they were the same, or functionally the same.

i'm certainly interested in what you find out. perhaps Jim will chime in here with some info.

pop those sleeves and orings out and use them in the super A. there's no heat cycles or antifreeze on those orings, they will be just fine in the super A. install them with petroleum jelly as lube.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Early A vs. Super A: A "Quandary"

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 pm

artc wrote:i dont know of any difference. they both use the 113 engine. block is different due to the hydraulics, but i am unaware of anything else. the cranks are a question mark. i would have thought they were the same, or functionally the same.

i'm certainly interested in what you find out. perhaps Jim will chime in here with some info.

pop those sleeves and orings out and use them in the super A. there's no heat cycles or antifreeze on those orings, they will be just fine in the super A. install them with petroleum jelly as lube.

I have about decided to do just that. Am still going to try to get it to run first but I anticipate it being overhauled...I'm offering the A for sale with "everything" but the sleeves and pistons. Of course, since I need to move it, I bet I couldn't sell it with a stack of 100 dollar bills thrown in for good measure....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”