This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cast Iron Welding!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Cast Iron Welding!

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm

(Apologies if you have seen me talking about this before, I have asked on another forum or two...)

I have discovered that my Super A demo has a crack in the block. It is in the same spot where Cub blocks are prone to crack, right in the "corner" where the flange part of the block bolts to the steering housing. (Seems like if A/B/C's crack it's behind the carb due to freezing. Not this one...) It starts where the oil pan meets the block and comes up about 4-5 inches, behind the hydraulic pump. There's a little gusset cast into the block there and it comes just past that if memory serves. It has been welded/brazed some before, but the crack's still there.

So here's the issue. If it were any other Super A, I would just find another block and call it done. But this is aa white demo. For me it is important that the block stay with the tractor. And while it's not running yet, I have no reason to doubt that it has run a long time in this shape--I expect somebody got it stuck once and they "snatched" on it to get it out. So I'm not worried about structural integrity. I have some leads on a couple places that have the capabililty to work with cast iron--they can heat it up and cool it down slowly. But, does anyone else have any leads on shops that could work with it and weld it back successfully? I know of a couple places supposidly here in NC, and there's a guy in MD that is almost a welding wizard that has a lot of experience with old stuff. Has a website with some pics of a manifold he did, and if it were me I would have thrown the thing in the scrap pile...

Is there anything else to watch out for in finding someone to weld on it? I have wondered about distortion of the block from heating/cooling it, but from what little I know about it, I don't think they heat it that hot. Now I know some people are going to say that they wouldn't "risk" it, but at this point I don't feel like I have anything to lose. I just want to make sure no "gremlins" will show up when it is fixed.....all advice welcome!

thanks,
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Cast Iron Welding!

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Al,

Do you have a link for the guy in MD's web site? Thanks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Al,

Do you have a link for the guy in MD's web site? Thanks.

www.georgemillermachine.com

Depending on how things work out locally, I may give him a try.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:04 pm

an A i bought several years ago had years of grease buildup in the area you refer to, Al. when i power washed it, a nice weld showed up on the steering housing and block. i functions fine. a good cast iron guy can fix it, and fix it properly. nothing to worry about
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”