This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A engine "jams" when handcranking!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Super A engine "jams" when handcranking!

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:43 am

Had some time to work on "Ol Whitey," my white demo Super A yesterday...finally got the mag hot, (long story) and decided it was time to try to start it. Rigged up a pony gas tank, and after a few pulls of the crank, it did "hit" a time or two, which got my hopes way up. After a couple more trys, it suddenly became impossible to turn the engine with the crank. I was able to turn the engine backward by pulling on the fan blades, and it released and seemed ok but after a couple more trys it did it again, and I couldn't get it to turn loose. So I decided to call it a night.

I've hand cranked this engine a number of times and it has never shown any problem like this.

Any ideas what's binding it? I pulled the starter off just to make sure it wasn't jamming the flywheel (although I don't see why it would since I was hand cranking it.) No change. Though I have been around Super A's all my life, I'm not much of a mechanic, but my notion is there's an issue in the timing gears. Of course, those "hoofbeats I hear may not be zebras." In other words, it may not be that exotic of a problem. What else should I look for? I had high hopes of being able to hear it run before I did more extensive engine work, but that possibility appears to be fading fast...

Al

thanks,
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Re: Super A engine "jams" when handcranking!

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:58 am

Stickey valve(s) :!:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 am

Bill E Bob wrote:Stickey valve(s) :!:

I don't think valves are the problem, though I could be wrong. They all will move up and down by hand. Someone has had the valve cover off though, there's no gasket under it....

thanks,
Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Will the engine turn freely when you pull the plugs? Do the plugs look wet?
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:45 pm

VinceD wrote:Will the engine turn freely when you pull the plugs? Do the plugs look wet?

No, and no. Plugs have a nice generous coating of dry carbon. Again not trying to make a bunch of wild guesses, but after looking in each hole with a flashlight yesterday, I remmeber one cylinder in particular that was up near TDC so you could see a little of the piston. It got me thinking, I wonder if there's a big piece of dirt dobber nest, carbon, etc. that is making a piston contact the head? I can roll it backwards, I don't try to make a full revolution because I am afraid of damaging the mag impulse. Then if I roll it back forward, I can sometimes hear a little "clunk." I just can't tell where that "clunk is coming from.

I think I may rig up an attachment for my shop vac that will fit in the plug hole and see what I can vacuum out.

al

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Well I figured it out! It was crap in the #2 and/or #3 cylinders. Flushed it out with my long-necked funnel and some gas. VERY relieved! I am going to pick up some new plugs tomorrow and see if I can get her to crank....

Al

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Good deal, Al. Glad it was so simple.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Glad you found the problem and it was not more complicated. Could you identify the "junk" and any idea how it got into the two cylinders? :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:17 am

VinceD wrote:Glad you found the problem and it was not more complicated. Could you identify the "junk" and any idea how it got into the two cylinders? :D :D

Not really other than it wasn't metallic. I think it was carbon and other "junk" from sitting. THere wasn't a lot of it but just enough in the right spot. Also it was mostly in #2 and 3, don't they have the most "direct" path to the outside world through the manifold? That's what I was thinkning--if so they would get most of the dirt, etc. that "settled."

Al

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:25 am

I have seen carbon build up around a plug, then when the plug is removed, break off in big enough chunks to lock the engine.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”