This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stripped bolt hole!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Stripped bolt hole!

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Boy, if it's not one thing, it's another. It's tough working on 3 tractors at one time...hard to keep track of all the problems!!

So my problem that arose today occurred when I was installing the hydraulic line/manifold back on the SA. The middle bolt at the TC end seems to be stripped out. Just my luck...I had THREE TC units, and rebuilt (at Boss' VA Fest) the one that had a problem!!!

My question is: since I don't have the expertise and equipment to do a helicoil, can I just drill and tap this to the next larger size? There SEEMS to be plenty of "meat" on the block, but don't know if this would be a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just realized I need to check the manifold to see if there was enough room for a larger hole...will do that tomorrow.

I'll post some general progress photos when I'm not so tired, but it IS going together rather well...new tires on all round, seat, fenders, hydraulics (mostly!), distributor, exhaust manifold, etc, are all back on. Just keep bolting things back on until the shelves are empty!!

Still looking for a better grill, though...

Dale F
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Stripped bolt hole!

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Dale, the only difference between placing the helicoil and tapping to the next size bolt is the insertion of the helicoil itself. Unless you already have the drill and tap for the next size bolt, you probably won't spend that much extra to get a helicoil kit and keep the bolt the correct size. I'm not sure what size you need, but you may want to ask at the body shop where you are doing the tractors and see if they have that size. Otherwise, most auto supply, or lots of places online.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:17 pm

BDFinch wrote: can I just drill and tap this to the next larger size?

NO, don't do that. It just makes a mess for the next guy. Remember, the next guy may be you. The only short cut I would consider is to check the depth of the bolt hole, see if a longer bolt would catch some remaining threads at the bottom of the hole. You can check the depth and remaining threads by screwing the bolt in without the manifold in place. See how far it goes in and if it seems to reach some good threads. Then find a bolt that will go to nearly the same depth with the manifold in place. Since it is the middle bolt, you can probably get away with torquing it to the low end of the normal range.

If this won't work and you can't helicoil it, get somebody to helicoil it for you.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeah, I knew both procedures involved drilling out larger holes, but I think I DO have the larger tap, and aren't the helicoil kits pretty pricey? Of course, when I look at the manifold end, there just may not be enough room for a larger hole. Won't know til tomorrow when I look.

What do suppose the odds are that of the three TC units I COULD have rebuilt, that this is the ONLY one with a problem??!!!

Dale F

PS :?: Another question: do the smaller/forward ends of the leather boots on the TC pistons get wired around the piston shaft or just left open? I already have the larger ends around the opening wired on.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 am

I am with Jim on this one, don't screw it up with a larger bolt!!!!!! you may be able to do as Jim said, you could use a stud if there are good threads in the bottom of the hole.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:45 am

aren't the helicoil kits pretty pricey?
Not necessarily if you know the size of the bolt you can get kit from your local automotive parts store. Your local Hardware store may carry them also. The kit should have the correct drill,tap and helicoil installation tool for the helicoil. just dont drill too deep into the casting.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:54 am

The Helicoil patent expired long ago and others make the inserts and tools in addition to the Helicoil, interchangeable in every way.

http://tool.wttool.com/search?w=Perma-Coil&x=29&y=12
Luck favors those who are prepared

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:27 am

The Helicoil kits get fairly expensive in the larger ones, but the smaller ones such as 5/16, which if I remember correctly is what holds the manifold to the TC block are in the area of $25 or so. You need a kit with the drill bit, tap, coils, and insert tool. The bit is not a standard size and can be purchased separately, but may have to be ordered if it does not come with the kit. Most auto parts stores, even Autozone, stock a version of them. Amazon is also a good place to look.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am

Dale:

Helicoil it. Really it isn't all that hard. If I can do it, you certainly can. Only thing you will have to do is ensure that the other orifices are protected from debris. Make a temporary cover plate say out of 1/8" masonite etc., similar to what I did when I busted a bolt off in the TC Manifold on Ellie:

Helicoils are rather easy, inexpensive and the instructions are pretty clear. I think (you need to confirm that)... that it might be 3/8"-16 and if so then the helicoils will be under $20.00 for a kit including bit/STI Tap and 10 helicoils. Just check the size of the bolt with one of the good ones to be safe.

Helicoil 5521-6 Thread Repair Kit 3/8-16in.

ReCoil and others make the same item. I think ReCoil and Helicoil are available at NAPA ..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:30 am

Rudi wrote: Make a temporary cover plate say out of 1/8" masonite etc. . .

For the quick solution, cover the other openings with duct tape. Those bolts are 3/8 coarse thread.

The stud suggestion is a good idea.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm

After considering things, I agreed last night with your comments about helicoiling it. I definitely like doing things right! So I might be lucky and have one coming to me today through the MAC tool guy who is also a pilot and friend.

Meanwhile, I have a shelf of other parts I can put on. The real challenge is figuring out which piece to put on next so that I do not have to take it back off to put a different part on first!! :big angry:

Dale F

PS :help: Does the leather boot get safety wired at both ends or just the large one at the base?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 pm

[quote="Jim Becker
... The only short cut I would consider is to check the depth of the bolt hole, see if a longer bolt would catch some remaining threads at the bottom of the hole. You can check the depth and remaining threads by screwing the bolt in without the manifold in place. See how far it goes in and if it seems to reach some good threads. Then find a bolt that will go to nearly the same depth with the manifold in place. Since it is the middle bolt, you can probably get away with torquing it to the low end of the normal range.[/quote]

I had already tried this and THOUGHT it would work. I saw that the old bolt did not appear to go to the bottom of the hole, so I carefully ran a tap down, then tried it and it seemed to be OK. However, when I was tightening it down for good, it must have had only a very slight bit of thread, and let go. Oh well, it WILL be fixed correctly.

Dale F
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:47 pm

BDFinch wrote:PS :help: Does the leather boot get safety wired at both ends or just the large one at the base?

If it is like the Cub TC, it gets wired at both ends...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Without seeing it myself, as I'm not sure how much "stress" is placed on that particular bolt or area, but I agree with what Jim said:
Jim Becker wrote:Since it is the middle bolt, you can probably get away with torqueing it to the low end of the normal range.

I'm wondering if a repair similar to how Carl has repaired the stripped inlets to carbs might suffice?

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Lurker%20Carl's%20Cub%20Carb%20Fixes/Fixing%20Stripped%20Threads_files/frame.htm

I've been successful using that technique on a stripped thread for a head bolt on an engine, and I've used JB Weld to make other repairs that required drilling and tapping a hole in the JB Weld repair, and it too held. There should be enough thread left that once the JB Weld cures, it should have enough bit left that the newly created threads would hold up? One thing to remember when using JB Weld is that the area has to be as CLEAN as possible in order for it to adhere, and I would wait as long as possible for it to cure to ensure it holds.

Might not work, but might be worth a shot?
Mike Duncan

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Another happy ending!! Yes, today was a pretty good day, and some good progress was achieved!! :{_}:

I did the HeliCoil repair to my Touch Control Manifold, and have attached a link to some photos (I have attached descriptions of each photo).
http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=1215

As a few of you said, it really was not difficult. I must say that it was easier after having watched this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

Thanks for the encouragement!

Dale F
Last edited by Dale Finch on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”