Yesterday I was so anxious, I almost went home instead of trying to start Bubba, my '48 SA that has been in the "hospital" for the last 6 months, being (almost) totally rebuilt. I didn't want to find out I had REALLY screwed something up big time! Finally, I managed to get on him and see if he would start. (I did take a short video, but don't know how to post it!...Bigdog, HELP!)
Before I tried, I realized I had to adjust the clutch pedal/throwout bearing clearance. (The clutch had already been set, but not the pedal freeplay):
The first start attempts were failures, so I started to track down where I was losing the power. Looked like the distributor was the culprit, but as hard as I looked, I couldn't find the cause. Finally I noticed that the coil wire connector, where it attaches to the terminal, was touching the inside wall of the distributor housing. I bent it away, and tried again. HE STARTED RIGHT UP!!!!!
I checked oil pressure...GOOD. I checked charging...GOOD. I checked transmission...all gears...GOOD. I checked the touch control...GOOD, both halves. Checked PTO...GOOD (after I realized the correct position of the lever...tried to pull it further aft than necessary), including the belt drive, too!
In fact there were only a few problems
1. Front seal seems to be leaking:
2. Front transmission seal seems to be leaking
3. Left rear Differential seal seems to be leaking
4. Oil pan seems to have a small leak near a bolt hole (and of course I sold my "spare" one!!!)...see the drip:
5. Fuel strainer is leaking slightly.
1. I knew about #3, and had already ordered the seal. It was overlooked when I rebuilt the left final: only 6 bolts to remove, pop in the new seal, and close him back up!
2. The oil pan will be removed and repaired.
3. & 4. These were just about the only things I had not repaired or replaced, so just my luck!!!
Right now, I plan to leave them, run Bubba, see just how bad they are, and go from there.
5. Fuel strainer has a new screen and gasket, but I need to work on it some more. At least the shut-off works well!
After I had him warmed up, I readjusted the valves, since they were supposed to be done hot:
I am finishing repairing the grill, and should have that and the hood painted soon. The peddle guard will go on once I have checked the brakes. And there are just a few other little things, but all-in-all, I am VERY happy!!!!
Thanks to all who answered my MANY questions, and offered help and advice...without you and this forum, I wouldn't have had the nerve to start a second ('55 Cub last year), larger project!!