This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bigger tires for an "A"

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Re: Bigger tires for an "A"

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Doesn't matter what I've had, muscle car, Bike, truck and now tractor. I like the look and function of fatter tires.
Especially when it comes to off road use. The fatter the better as far as I'm concerned.
I have been dealing with soft soil problems that the wider tires may help with too. (hey sounds like a good excuse right? :wink: )

I was originally figuring on new tires for the lo-boy with its 8.3 mismatched set.
Seeing the pics and hearing your opinions has made up my mind.
Now I'm set on finding a set of 12.4s for the "A" and then I'll take the 9.5s from the "A", they are a very good matched set, they will be mounted on the cub.
That way I can use the rims I have now. I'll be on the look out for a deal and being cheap I'll have to be patient too. :lol:
Thanks guys.
Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:17 pm

BDFinch wrote:I have 11.2's on my A and they look great! Of course, I'm just finishing up his restoration, so they haven't actually done any WORK, but he runs and they roll along fine! I had a shop put them on for $10, so I don't really know how hard it was.

Going back over this post I'd have to agree with you here. For $10 I wouldn't care to know how hard it was either. :wink:
last I checked here it was $40 a rim. :roll: so I ended up learning how.
Mike.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 am

I found a set of 14 x24s... :roll: ya I know, 12.4s can be done but are pushing it on the stock 9" rims but 14s?
Thats probably a no go right? :oops: :roll: Uh, anyone ever try it?
Anyone know where I could get wider rims for cheap? I don't care about rust, I can fix that.
Mike.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Mike

We got blank 15" rims and the bolt loops from Miller Tire. We had to locate and weld the loops on the rims. I don't remember how much it cost. But looking back I think it would have worked out better on 13" rims. If you look close at my pictures the side wall flares out from the tread making it easier for a stick to punch through the side wall. But I don't remember what we paid for them.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

The tires I'm looking at are off a backhoe so I'm still not sure of how tall they are or if they are tubeless. The asking price is tempting though at $200 for the pair. Tread looks good. I also have another option for the rims. I have a local shop that widens stock rims and I can probably get these done for under $100. I may go that route.????
Or... if a 12.4 set becomes available I'll just jump on them. :roll:

krose
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12121

Postby krose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:44 am

nice looking A

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Biding my time and haunting Craig's list paid off. Picked up a matched pair of pre-owned Goodyears 11.2x24s. I'm not saying used because though they are years old they were never mounted. Still have the dealer stickers and tire labels on them.
The owner had a tractor collection and passed away leaving his spouse with all of it. Her neighbor took the tires which had been stored indoors and put them up on craigs list a couple of months back. I didn't have the cash then but being able to swing a deal now I figured I'd give it a try and make a call. The original ad had them at top dollar,around $600, no discount from new. I guess they got no bites in the last couple of months so my offer that came out of the blue of $250 for the pair was accepted without any haggling.
Getting there today I found the tires had been kept out in a field the last couple of months and were completely green from moss and covered with spiders. :shock: (I hate spiders :oops: ) Power washing brought them back nicely.
They will replace the 9.5s on my "A" and then the 9.5s will probably go on my cub.
After cleaning them up I saw the diamonds on the sidewall. Seems to me that the original tires came with the diamond pattern sidewalls. I'm glad to get an affordable set of larger tires for my "A" but do the diamonds mean anything special?
The 11.2 is shown next to the 9.5. I think I'll like the bigger tire. Oh and yes those are rear fenders on top of the tire stack. Some day I'll take the time to clean'em all up and put'em on. :roll:
This shows the diamond pattern.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Getting there today I found the tires had been kept out in a field the last couple of months and were completely green from moss and covered with spiders. (I hate spiders ) Power washing brought them back nicely.

Not right bright of them, especially if they wanted top dollar.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I tend to think they originally asked way to much and scared away any buyers. Then without getting any responses they gave up on them leaving them to the elements. That made my offer made months down the road and out of the blue easier to accept. I threw that price out going on his description only. It was an hours drive away so all things considered I gave what I thought was a fair offer so that I wouldn't make a drive for nothing. He had three more "new tires" too. 11.2, 9.5, 8.3. no matching pairs though. I also factor into it my cost for gas to go get it too. So that made them about $280 for me.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:30 am

Bigger tires will work,--- they do however greatly kill power and make the tractor run to fast for slow speed work---fine for show,--see a lot of them! thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 am

that is better than the backhoe tires you were considering. they probably were 10 or 12 ply and would have been so stiff it would have been like riding on steel wheels, even without air in them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:50 am

Those are some OLD new tires. 45 degree straight lug Goodyears.

My Super A has 11.2x24s and it works fine for me. Mostly loader work, and some plowing.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Ya the backhoe tires wouldn't have been a good choice for sure. bet they would have been a bear to mount.
I don't think being 3" taller will hurt its working capability much. I pull huge logs (8' long 3' diameter) without much more than half throttle in first and downed trees 1 1/2' diameter 30' feet long using not much over idle in second gear. I'd have to assume it'd take more from the tractor to plow a field but I'll never ask that from it.
My use of the tractor increased and got heavier in the last year with hurricane sandy's thinning out a big percentage of our tree line. In fact it's hauling logs again as I just dropped a grand to have a tree guy drop a 120' tulip tree that the storm left looming over my barn. He put it on the ground and I'm doing the rest.
(Since the storm the tree service guys aren't hungry anymore. Pay their price or someone else will)
I almost feel bad intending to use these tires for working if the are NOS originals that would be better for a period correct restoration. Used tractor tires are really hard to come by around here.
Mike.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

Lt.Mike wrote:Ya the backhoe tires wouldn't have been a good choice for sure. bet they would have been a bear to mount.
I don't think being 3" taller will hurt its working capability much. I pull huge logs (8' long 3' diameter) without much more than half throttle in first and downed trees 1 1/2' diameter 30' feet long using not much over idle in second gear. I'd have to assume it'd take more from the tractor to plow a field but I'll never ask that from it.
My use of the tractor increased and got heavier in the last year with hurricane sandy's thinning out a big percentage of our tree line. In fact it's hauling logs again as I just dropped a grand to have a tree guy drop a 120' tulip tree that the storm left looming over my barn. He put it on the ground and I'm doing the rest.
(Since the storm the tree service guys aren't hungry anymore. Pay their price or someone else will)
I almost feel bad intending to use these tires for working if the are NOS originals that would be better for a period correct restoration. Used tractor tires are really hard to come by around here.
Mike.

Mike,

Wanna trade? :lol: Those tires would sure look good on my Super A-1 and I could swap you a set of long bar/short bars tires! 8)

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Hey Al, too bad we all don't live closer.
:thumbsup:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”