Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954
Moderator: Team Cub
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Right now I am TRYING to reassemble and mount my Woods 59, but I printed out the wrong manual, and have to rely on my photos for the "how to"!! Also, when I helicoiled two front final holes, I put a stud in because the substitute drawbar had the slotted, tapered hole, but it looks like the mower uses a bolt, because the bracket is not slotted or tapered!! I just can't remember if I used threadlocker to hold the stud in!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!! The grass is growing!
I have tried two nuts jammed to get this stud out...assuming I did use threadlocker when I installed the studs, does anyone have suggestions for getting them back out?
Looks like another weekend will be going by without the mower! Pretty soon I will need to pay someone with a bush mower...
I had the same issues with my super a while trying to mount a woods 59 just a few weeks ago. I used a 30" aluminum pipe wrench and a small piece of card board to protect the threads if you want to reuse the studs later. You have to take your time and adjust the wrench just right where the stud sits in the front part of the wrench not half way or farther back in the jaws right in front. Then after you start to put pressure on the wrench you have to position the wrench so you have ample room to attach a cheater pipe. Then in one motion the stud must start to move or chances are the stud will be damaged beyond reuse if you make several attempts to remove.
heat it to break down the lock tight
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg
Thanks guys for the input. Monday I will tackle it. Sheesh...just when you are on the final road, there is a giant porthole...that you put in yourself!!!!!
I agree. You can also tap the bolt head with a ball pein hammer sending small shocks thru to break its grip.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"
SUCCESS!! One of the guys in the body shop helped me out today...he screwed an implement nut onto the stud, tapered side first, flush with the end of the stud, then welded it, heating up the stud in the process. Then we put a socket with a breaker bar with a 3' pipe on it and worked it loose. Then I ground the weld off the top of the nut/stud, seperated them, and was able to repeat the process for the other side. Then I ground the new weld off, seperated the nut from the stud, and actually did no damage to either stud OR the nut!! Well...the nut is missing a bit of thickness, but it was plenty thick and I dressed the edges so it looks just fine!
So now I can finally mount the mower (with BOLTS!). I also got the grill painted as well as the hood, so they are ready to go on tomorrow also. Next step is to haul the tractor out to the farm and tackle some of this grass!!!
Thanks all SO much for your input!!
I'm sure you're relieved. hehe
Heck...it is now Saturday going on Sunday and I am here in New Orleans...I managed to get the mower under my SA but ran out of time for doing any mowing. I may have to go in with a machete by the time I return on Tues. Only one day to TRY to get the tractor out to the farm, mow, load the Express stuff and then head to Boss' on Thursday. It may take a miracle!! Oh well...it'll sure put a new rebuild to the test!!
Will let you know if I succeed next week...
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests