This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1941 Farmall A: Engine Surging or Hunting

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SugarTractor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19526
Tractors Owned: '52 Farmall Cub - FCUB
'54 Ferguson TO-30
'56 Ferguson TO-35
2012 Kubota L3800HST

1941 Farmall A: Engine Surging or Hunting

Postby SugarTractor » Sun May 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Guys,

I have this 1941 Farmall A. Been nothing but problems sorting out since our Pastor got the tractor last late summer. Would just cut out and die, and would not restart. Has had new: Points, Condenser, Rotor, Cap, Spark Wires, Coil, new Coil Tested, spark plugs, regulator, generator rebuilt, gas replaced, another new set of points and condenser. And now I have replaced the 6V battery as it would not hold a charge.

Things slowly have gotten better. But lastly it would not stay running when it warmed up under load. So I got a carb rebuild kit, cleaned the carb, soaked it for 3 days in the can of carb cleaner, and did the rebuild. Installing the rebuilt carb; in "testing" the tractor under load, when it warmed up it would begin to die and if I choked it, it would continue to run. So I decided to purchase a new carb...

There was always a governor surging or hunting problem; so I installed the new carb, ran without adjusting the linkage and the surging started under load quickly and now it's so bad with the new good carb, I cannot keep the tractor running with the tractor under load (pulling a 2 section harrow in wet ground). So I adjusted the linkage to the carb and made sure it's not binding on the block also, but same surging or hunting problem just sitting there running. If I grab the linkage from governor to carb, it stabilizes and runs fine. I can run the engine with my hand on the linkage to stabilize it, as it then runs fine, wide open, half, or at idle. This surging or hunting happens under low, medium, or full throttle, and eventually stalls the tractor under load if left unchecked by clutch or hand. I can unhook the "load" (harrow) and drive the tractor into the shop OK.

Link: http://youtu.be/63xse-V7AOU

Since I'm at wits end, any intelligent suggestions and help as to what to do next is appreciated to solve what I think is the last problem in this tractors complex issues...

Thanks,
WaltZ
ihartharvest@gmail.com
Last edited by SugarTractor on Sun May 06, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1941 Farmall A: Engine Surging or Hunting

Postby twotone » Sun May 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I had the same problem on my SA, and it was a combination of things. The carb was missing the Idle Air Jet(Pretty sure that what it was called). Once that problem got ironed out I adjusted the governor with engine running to the smoothest spot and that is by far my best starting and running tractor.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”