This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery Drain

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Oldman1151
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43445
Tractors Owned: 1937 John Deere B
1942 Farmall A
1942 Farmall BN
1952 Cub
1953 John Deere 60 All Fuel
1955 Ford 860

Re: Battery Drain

Postby Oldman1151 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The original cut-out would not have had an L terminal. You have a later style regulator that does not require the 4 position switch to control charge rate. If your L terminal is connected to the point the generator F is normally connected, that is your drain. Do your lights work with or without the L terminal connected to anything?

It is a newer style regulator. Lights work fine without the L termianl being connected. The high charge on the light switch does not work.

There is a jumper going from the F terminal onthe gnerator to GEN terminal on the regulator as it came from the shop.

There is a jumper going from the A terminal onthe gnerator to a connecter up under the regulator as it came from the shop.

Right now the L wire is not connected to anything on the regulator end.

Before this problem the L wire was connected to the L terminal. It had been like that for 4-5 years. The high charge did not work then either.

Thanks,

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Oldman1151 wrote:There is a jumper going from the F terminal onthe gnerator to GEN terminal on the regulator as it came from the shop.

There is a jumper going from the A terminal onthe gnerator to a connecter up under the regulator as it came from the shop.

Are you sure the regulator terminal connected to the generator F isn't also F? The lug under the regulator is usally labeled GEN.

Where ever they are located, F on the generator should connect to F on the regulator. A on the generator should be connected to GEN on the regulator. With everything else as you have it connected, the L lug should remain unconnected. With a regulator doing the regulation, the light switch should not have any effect on the charge rate.

Oldman1151
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall A
1942 Farmall BN
1952 Cub
1955 Ford 860

Postby Oldman1151 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Oldman1151 wrote:There is a jumper going from the F terminal onthe gnerator to GEN terminal on the regulator as it came from the shop.

Are you sure the regulator terminal connected to the generator F isn't also F? The lug under the regulator is usally labeled GEN.

Where ever they are located, F on the generator should connect to F on the regulator. A on the generator should be connected to GEN on the regulator. With everything else as you have it connected, the L lug should remain unconnected. With a regulator doing the regulation, the light switch should not have any effect on the charge rate.

Thank you for patience.

I have a diagram that is different than what is on my tractor which is where my confusion is coming from.

Below is what is in my tractor. The diagarm will be filed.

On the generator there 2 posts. A and F

On the regulator there are 4 connectors. The 3 on top are F, BAT and L. Under the regulator there is a connecter that is not marked.

The wires from the generator are connected: A jumper to unmarked connecter under the regulator. F has a jumper to F terminal on the regulator.

Battery wire wire is connected to BAT terminal on regulator.

Nothing is attached to L terminal on the regulator. (I now have an extra wire)

Thanks again for your help. I wish I could talk to you sometime.

Oldman1151
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall A
1942 Farmall BN
1952 Cub
1955 Ford 860

Postby Oldman1151 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 pm

The problem was a faulty resistor in the light switch. It was the one that was used for the high / low charge setting.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”