This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 140 Steering Play

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmall 140 Steering Play

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 am

Boss (and anyone else who'd like to comment),

To bring everyone up to speed, I removed the axle and decided to tackle the steering slop in my 1968 Farmall 140. It wasn't very bad but the box was leaking (the only leak on the tractor) and I wanted it fixed right. The only noticible play was when you turned the steering wheel, the center pitman arm would move up and down. I called Boss and got his advice on what that could possibly be. He said more than likely the top bearing inside the housing is shot allowing the steering gear shaft to move up and down. I do agree with this theory, but after inspecting the inside of the housing where the bearing is located (I didn't remove it), it appears that the bearing moves freely like it should and doesn't have any slop in it....everything is there and tight in-place. It feels the same as a new one would. Unless there is something else that I should be looking for with that bearing, it appears fine. I also noticed that after getting the Lower Housing removed from the tractor the slop is there between the pitman arm on the bottom and the steering gear on the top. The shaft will move up and down about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. To me, it appears that the pitman arm wasn't put all the way back on the shaft when it was removed before......yes, I have concluded that the steering box has been broken into before due to the fact that the cotter pin on the castelation nut was just a peice of straight wire, and the Axle U-bolt wasn't fastened to the rear under the crank pulley becuase the P.O. figured out you can't access that nut to re-install it. There isn't some kind of spacer that is required is it that is possibly missing? I am attaching pictures, thus my reason for posting this and just not calling you. I have tried to get the pitman arm off the shaft with a hammer, and have not had any luck moving it. I also knocked on the shaft, but don't want to mushroom anything.

Thanks!
Attachments
Steering 5.JPG
Steering 4.JPG
Steering 3.JPG
Steering 1.JPG
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Farmall 140 Steering Play

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 am

You must have been missing the SNAP RING I told you about or you could not have gotten it off with out taking the three bolts out
No need to ask if you do not listen :D
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 am

use a puller
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 am

Boss Hog wrote:use a puller

Yep, that is what I plan to do.

After looking at the parts breakdown closely again, I think I see what you mean. It appears that once the pitman arm is removed the lower casting will be able to be unbolted and completely removed from the tractor leaving the steering worm wheel shaft and steering gear inside the housing. The steering gear can be removed from the shaft (while in the housing), and once it is removed, then you unbolt the 3 bolts to remove the bearing and shaft all together because the snap ring (which is missing with mine) holds the shaft in place while the bearing is bolted in.

Am I correct, and would the missing snap ring allowing the excessive up and down play?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 am

Yes and Yes
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks Boss. Looks like all I am gonna need to fix are the seals and gaskets and the snap ring.......theorectically

I know while I got it off it's best to do everything though.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”