This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoration Project: O' Whitey

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Restoration Project: O' Whitey

Postby Super A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 pm

This thread will document the restoration of my white demonstrator Super A, aka "Ol Whitey." Hopefully this thread will also demonstrate how to maintain a restoration thread that's easy for members to access and the author to update.

Anyway. I purchased Ol Whitey from Boss Hog in May '11. It was not running, had one flat rear tire, and improvised tie rods to hold the front wheels forward. But it had white paint shining everywhere. There was no doubt what it really was......
white super a.jpg
white super a.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 9107 times

white demo 2.jpg
white demo 2.jpg (140.02 KiB) Viewed 9107 times

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Restoration Project: O' Whitey

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Took me better part of 2 weeks to salt all that white :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Boss Hog wrote:Took me better part of 2 weeks to salt all that white :D

LOL You did good!!

So after I got Ol Whitey home, I decided to see if she'd run. I put a new coil and set of points in the mag, installed a new set of plugs and wires, and cleaned out the carb. The carb, by the way, is a Carter. I think I like the Zenith better. I rigged up a pony tank to get some gas to the carb, and tried to get it to start. Anyway I cranked and cranked and cranked. Finally got her to fire and after a few more tries, she fired up and I was able to drive it under its own power.
5-30-11 006.JPG
5-30-11 006.JPG (154.84 KiB) Viewed 9098 times

Good: It runs.

Bad: It runs very badly. Afterward I did a wet compression test and it wouldn't even move the needle on the compression tester. The transmission sounds like small animals are inside fighting each other with steel numchucks and cat o' nine tails. Oh and the PTO shaft is frozen.

But it's a white demo.....

I should add, I had a lot of helpers, but they tended to goof off on the job. A lot.
5-30-11 001.JPG
5-30-11 001.JPG (127.92 KiB) Viewed 9098 times

It's going to be a LONG run. More soon.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Brendan In NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27858
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub Red Square Nose # 223883 one of 2300 built before they switch to Yellow and White.

1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Just a Clean Strong run of the mill Farmall 140 with very little Wear.

Also have a bit of equipment
Woods C-42 Belly mower, 1963 IH McCormick #215 Plow, IH #144 Cultivators, IH Side Dresser (in need of some work non working at the moment)

Postby Brendan In NC » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:55 am

Id say to make it easy! Find a part's Super A take two an make one! Good luck Al Cheer's :beer:
Tractors are like watermelons..Eat the red and throw away the green!!
Brendan Dixon Greenville NC
1964 Farmall Cub #223883
1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Tractorguy140, YouTube

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 am

Brendan In NC wrote:Id say to make it easy! Find a part's Super A take two an make one! Good luck Al Cheer's :beer:

Not so easy when we're talking about a demo. I want to avoid swapping out anything major like an engine block (more on that later) because then you have a Heinz 57. But a parts tractor would be nice for some of the internals. For example the transmission has some real issues. More later....

Al

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks for starting this thread, Al! I know that I'll be following your progress! Kinda want a "bigger tractor" now that I have a little bit of property... But that is for later!

Good luck on Ol' Whitey!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:14 pm

So here's some pics of what I am up against. First, I am not a big fan of the old Farm Bureau Safemark tires, but this one is so near new, it still has the little nibs on it. The other one is nearly 95-98%.
026.JPG
026.JPG (117.25 KiB) Viewed 8939 times

On the other hand, the "new" tire is in not so good shape. Oh well.
027.JPG
027.JPG (122.17 KiB) Viewed 8936 times

Rims ain't too good either. Stupid calcium chloride..... I have a couple rims already laid up for it.
028.JPG
028.JPG (127.98 KiB) Viewed 8936 times

Here's the bad part. Block is cracked right at the front, right hand corner. Same place Cubs crack. I have never seen an A-140 crack here, I am thinking somebody got stupid with a chain and another tractor. The PO did some bubblegumming to try to fix it but it didn't really help. Anyway this is the deal breaker. I have some leads on some shops that can weld it "good as new" so we'll see. This will be the next major step in this project. If it turns out non-fixable, this may turn into just another Super A. My personal restoration philosophy doesn't allow replacing a major casting on a demo.....
029.JPG
029.JPG (127.74 KiB) Viewed 8936 times

More later....
Al

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:11 am

Praying for a good outcome.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Al, how is it going with the weld? Are you going to be able to get it fixed to your satisfaction?

Dennis
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:40 pm

At the earliest, it will be Christmastime before I have time and funds to work on it. :( We are about 3 weeks away from moving into our new house, and pile finishing my Ed.D. and day to day teaching responsibilities on top of that, I don't have time for nuthin......

I have leads on 2-3 shops though, that from what I hear can "fix it like new." We shall see.....

Al

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Restoration Project: Ol' Whitey

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Well, funds is tight, so I am not progressing much, but I did overcome a major hurdle last night.

The serial number tag is damaged on this tractor. (See the first post in this thread.) It is very difficult to read the three center digits in the serial number. That's sort of a serious issue on a white demo! So last night, I took the entire seat support off, and brought it in the house where I could look at it closely in good light.

For reasons only known to the fine folks at IH, they were using a sorry method for stamping their serial number tags in 1950. My '48 Super A and '49 Cub have nice, neat, DEEP stamped numbers. In 1950 (and I don't know when they started or when they switched back; my '54 Super A-1 has the nice deep stamped numbers again) they were using stamping that looked like this:

(Thanks to 61cub51 this is the tag on his white demo Cub)

If you "look at it too hard," the numbers get damaged. I think somebody must've been riding around with a heavy tool or something under their feet, and it banged against tag. Also, it's only holding by two rivets, so it's had some abuse. Anyway, I could for sure read two of the three damaged numbers in good light, but the third digit in the number was partly obliterated. I tried holding a light at all different angles, rubbing it with a pencil, laying a piece of paper over it and rubbing it, rubbing it with a q-tip, rubbing it with a pencil eraser (that did the best job of cleaning it), using 2-3 different flashlights, etc. I could see enough of the top of the digit to tell it was either a 2 or a 3. I had the production list for Louisville from the IH Archives, and narrowed it down to sometime in February production. So I went dragging outside last night about 10PM to check casting codes. Most of them were towards the end of February, with the newest one being Feb. 26 of '50. So, that helped me narrow it down to a 3. :D :D

Sort of jumping the gun, but now I have a decision to make. Do I leave the plate as-is when I restore it, or get a reproduction. I don't believe in reproductions, but in this case it may be warranted. I think I have some time to decide...

I'll try to post some more pics but there's no doubt what this tractor is, as if there was before! It's just as white as it can be on the back side of the seat support, where it met the transmission case.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

More later
Al
Last edited by Super A on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Tst would probably make you one of the overlay decals if you wanted to go that route.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Farmall51
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub #1983
1949 Farmall C
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super C
1961 Cub Cadet original
1979 Farmall 140 #66701
1979 Farmall 140 #66896

Postby Farmall51 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Great progress on the White Super A . How do I follow this post ?
Farmall51

formerly 61cub51

Farmall504#20 on the Red Power Forum
https://www.youtube.com/user/farmall51

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:46 am

61Cub51 wrote:Great progress on the White Super A . How do I follow this post ?

I don't think there's a way to follow it, depending on your settings you'll get an email when someone replies. There's also a link to it in my signature.

Maybe it won't be long before I can look that guy up in Goldsboro you told me about and get that block tended to. Or then again, I could just buy that one Brendan sent the link to on FB and be done with it!!

al

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 am

I had forgotten to post a pic of my screwed up serial number plate:

007.JPG
007.JPG (118.63 KiB) Viewed 8294 times

Thankfully, I have been able to decipher it, thank goodness for casting codes.

Aaand....that pretty white paint!
005.JPG
005.JPG (140.42 KiB) Viewed 8294 times

One more thing. The IH Archives at the University of WI has full digital copies of Harvester World magazine online. Thought it would be fun to look for white demo information in some of the issues in '49-'50. Found a VERY interesting pic on the cover of the May, 1950 issue:

Harvester World white Super A.JPG
Harvester World white Super A.JPG (67.32 KiB) Viewed 8294 times

Look at the Super A emblem. Normally there would be the word CULTI-VISION in white at the bottom of the circle. In other words, CULTI-VISION would form the bottom part of the circle. The decal on this tractor is a solid black/white bordered circle, like a normal A, B, C, or circle Cub decal. I had wondered how they handled the fact that these letters were in white and wouldnt' show up well on white paint, I guess now we know!

By the way, the reason there is a NATIONALIZED sign on the IH dealer's window, and the guy is holding a Soviet/communist newspaper is because 1950 was during the early Cold War and this small town was staging a mock takeover to illustrate the dangers of communism. Pretty interesting article in and of itself.

Al

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”