Back in business!
1. New style tall gas cap - one of the two vent holes was mostly blocked. Cleaned it out with a piece of wire and then blew it out with compressed air. Air flow was much better after cleaning it out.
2. Gas tank - small round cork gasket(about the size of a quarter) in bottom of tank. Fished out with a piece of wire. I had seen it in there before but hadn't fished it out.
3. Gas tank - piece of rust about the size of a bb in bottom of tank. Would not come out with a magnet so I fished it out with one of those vintage match holders for lighting pilot lights. It has a plunger on one end and little jaws which open up to hold the match. Only took two tries to grab the rust piece. Tank looks pretty good beyond the one piece of rust I found.
1. Distributor wiring - replaced short wire from negative side of coil to distributor. Looked a little frayed and suspect.
2. Coil - replaced old 12volt coil with a new 12volt internal resistor coil. If I did the test(s) correctly as John suggested, I felt the old coil was on its way out or had finally failed. Did not get the blinking light when the points open/close. Once I put the new coil on and turned the engine over, the test light flickered with the opening and closing of the points.
3. Condenser - was not grounded after removing and reinstalling so I left the old one in there.
Turned on fuel valve. Fired right up! No start problem solved. What solved that...don't know.
Hopefully the cutting out problem is also solved. We'll see. I ran it for about 15 minutes without a problem.
Thanks for your help John!
P.S. Cork gasket I found on the bottom of the gas tank. Not sure if it was moving over the outlet but I know it shouldn't be in the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.