This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cultivator set up?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 2794

cultivator set up?

Postby minkbigbird » Thu May 08, 2014 5:37 am

G'Day all. This is my first post, first tractor and first go at restoring one. I purchased a Farmall Super AV which looked good in the photos so I took a chance, starts on first crank, no rust and does not leak oil but the paint is bad, looks like it was painted in a sand storm with a tooth brush. I am about to do a total strip and re. do it.
My question is I have seen photos on the Internet of SA's restored with different amounts of blue on the cultivating gear from everything below the main body of the tractor to just the cultivating points and tool bars, can any one help with which is correct as it would have been when new?
I guess while I here are there any manuals on options on how to set up the cultivating equipment? not sure what I have is right.
thanks Brian.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cultivator set up?

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 11, 2014 7:50 am

There were some variations in paint colors over the years. I don't have a full reference with me, so can't look anything up. The short mostly correct answer is that the main tool bars were blue, things above were red, things below were usually black. Plant shields were blue.

Some more details can be found in the McCormick Archives at the Wisconsin Historical Society. I don't have a pointer to that handy either.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:12 am

If I'm not mistaken. I believe just the tools and bars were painted blue. The other stuff was red
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

minkbigbird
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 2794

Postby minkbigbird » Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks for the info. This is going to be a show pony and coming from a show car background I wanted to avoid the "what did you do that for comment " I understand there are many set up applications,but was just looking for one to show how an AV was used rather than just a plain tractor I think it gives a little history to what is becoming a rare tractor in Australia now.

A question, on what row crops where the small disc's that are fitted to a tool bar usually one each side from the photo's I have seen, there purpose and what position where they fitted? Thanks.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”